Pathfinder Reel Falls Off Easily

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

do it easy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I bought a pathfinder reel a few months ago and was diving with it at the local hole today. It fell off twice while I was in the process of getting in the water. The double ender was still attached to my waist d-ring, but the reel was not. :( The first time, it was sitting on the entry dock where I sat down to put my fins on; the second time, it was below the entry dock, after I put my deco bottles on.

Once I got home, I tried to figure out what happened- because of the way the attachment point is placed, it can open the gate on the double ender by catching the little thumb doohickey. I think it would only happen when the reel is pushed into something (like the dock where I sat to gear up or my deco bottle when I had it on the waist d-ring)

Has anyone else had this problem? I think it would happen with both the Salvo and the H "pathfinder-style" reels. I think a bolt snapped tied into the hole in the handle would prevent the reel from accidentally falling off.

I have a Salvo reel and I almost lost it while diving off a zodiac. The double ender was still on my waist d-ring but the reel was on the sea floor 80 feet bellow. I never figured out how it happened and it hasn't happened since.

It's very easy to duplicate, and is easily solved by changing how you snap the boltsnap onto the reel. Basically, you're snapping it so the bolt itself goes through the hole. This allows the teardrop to hit the side of the handle and undoes the boltsnap.
If you snap it in place so that the bolt is on the outside of the handle, it's physically impossible for it to come off by itself (while connected to a D-ring)--something else has to undo the snap. Even if it's not connected to a D-ring, it's a pain in the butt to try and get it to undo itself.
Do it like this and you won't lose your reel again. :wink:

Go here to read a little more...(there's also a good demonstration video)

SparticleBrane:
Do it like this and you won't lose your reel again. :wink:

Thanks Charles and Jason! I guess I won't throw out that SS double ender just yet. :wink:

Also, I infer that the text that I quoted above implies an unconditional warranty on your part. Thanks again, I'll let you know if I need a replacement. :wink:

Thanks for an interesting post guys.

Now can someone tell me how to stop losing spools in a similar manner? I have given up hanging them off D rings and put them in a pocket. Anybody find a spool recently somewhere in the vicinity of the Peanut tunnel?

do it easy:
Thanks again, I'll let you know if I need a replacement. :wink:
If that's the case, drop me a note and I'll point you in the right direction...:D

SparticleBrane:
If that's the case, drop me a note and I'll point you in the right direction...:D
I actually bought a "blemished" Halcyon Pathfinder at a great discount. The dude (dealer) that sold it to me told me the H engraving wasn't deep enough. It passes my 50/50 rule- you can't tell the difference 50' deep from 50' away. :D

Anywhoozle, I think the Pathfinder type reels are one of the best designs. A friend of mine has one where he replaced the set screw with a spring loaded ball drag so the reel will pay out line under tension, but stops when you stop moving. I'm not that mechanically inclined, so I just took the pull dump ball off of my OMS wing and fastened it to the end of the line to prevent it from running through the line guide of the reel. Now that's what I call doing it more righter! :wink:

Likewise...(except this is a hair tie ball thingy) :D
Note to self: get real delrin spools instead of cheap plastic ones...
edit: I also noticed that the boltsnap in that picture is the wrong direction. Must have been taken before I realized the right way to do it. :rolleyes:

gearnew.jpg

ianr33:
Thanks for an interesting post guys.

Now can someone tell me how to stop losing spools in a similar manner? I have given up hanging them off D rings and put them in a pocket. Anybody find a spool recently somewhere in the vicinity of the Peanut tunnel?
Anyone? I've had a few close calls myself.

SparticleBrane:
Likewise...(except this is a hair tie ball thingy) :D
Note to self: get real delrin spools instead of cheap plastic ones...
edit: I also noticed that the boltsnap in that picture is the wrong direction. Must have been taken before I realized the right way to do it. :rolleyes:

gearnew.jpg
I guess I'm not the only one shopping the little girl aisle at the grocery store. Every once in a while, I cruise by there to see if there are any good hair scrunchies for my reels. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom