Patching a wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rig_Diver

Registered
Reaction score
I tore about a 3-inch-wide hole in my wetsuit a couple weekends ago, on the inside of the left leg.
I was wondering if any of y'all know some way to patch it. I don't know of any kind of patch that would stay on in the water. :idk:

Thanks!

I tore about a 3-inch-wide hole in my wetsuit a couple weekends ago, on the inside of the left leg.
I was wondering if any of y'all know some way to patch it. I don't know of any kind of patch that would stay on in the water. :idk:

Thanks!

Sure! Some wetsuit glue should work well. Normally can just glue the two edges together, no need to apply a patch over the rip/cut. We offer two options:

Seal Cement / Neoprene Cement
Wetsuit Glue

mscnc_exp.jpg

Neoprene Cement: McNett Seal Cement™ Contact Cement for Neoprene Repairs - Wetsuit Repair & Maintenance : House of Scuba

Glue the torn surfaced together, following the instructions. You may want to also glue nylon cloth on the inside and outside surfaces to give it more strength.

If you desire to provide additional strength in a high stess area (and do not want to sew the seam back) we offer a self adhesive solution.. Iron-on tape for wetsuits, that can be applied to the nylon after the repair has been made with glue.

http://www.makospearguns.com/product-p/miop.htm

MIOP-2.jpg

Seal cement / divers contact cement is the ticket. When mating the materials push from away from the seam. You do not want to squish the material thin as it mates. It wants to be a full height seam with all of the surface area. Backing it with nylon or scrap thin reinforced neoprene is a real good idea. If you're feeling real clever get some nylon cotton thread take a stab at blind stitching.

Pete

Depending on the size of the hole a patch can be made from and old wetsuit. Trim the hole and the patch to the the same size and shape then use the cement to inlay the patch.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom