Patagonia Black Hole?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ink

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Is the patagonia black hole worth buying? And if so, what size?

I'm planning to use it for all my gear, mostly when driving to shore dive. So fins, reg bag (I keep them in a smaller bag because I worry the tubes will get crushed), BPW, mask box, extra space for water and sunscreen etc. I usually dive without a wetsuit but I do need some space for my dry clothes.

I like mine, although I had to replace the first one after some number of years when the handle jammed. I use the 55L for a carry on and the 100L wheeled duffel as checked baggage. It sounds like the 70L might be the sweet spot for you.

Reactions: ink
You don't think it'll be too small?

You don't think it'll be too small?
I can put fins, 3mm wetsuit, etc. in my 55L, but you say you won’t be carrying exposure protection, just a change of clothes. The 100L is pretty big for just that plus a BP/W.

I also use the 100L wheeled duffel for most of my gear, including BPW, exposure (Sharkskin top + bottom + hood + vest, tech shorts, boots), fins, SAD, dSMB, dry clothes, toiletries etc. I've been taking regs and electronics in carry-on, but I might need to figure out regs in checked luggage soon, we'll see how that goes with packing cubes.

Traveling for cold water diving I need to bring the drysuit and undergarment in another checked bag, but that probably doesn't apply to you.

The frame and wheels take away a little volume and add a bunch of weight. I don't regret the wheeled option (and Patagonia support is great, they quickly fixed a wheel that got bent in transit ) but something to consider. As for size, I agree you might get by with the 70L (and less likely to overpack if weight is of concern), though at least given the price difference I would still get the 100L.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom