Passive vs Active Impact; part 1

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MauiScubaSteve

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My BDB Jeannie requested some pictures from our last two dives before she returned to Alaska. I could have just sent them in an email, but what would be the fun in that?

The first I call Shooting Range, where you can have an afternoon manta day. There were two solo videographers, although we only chatted with the research videographer. The surface swim is over 1/4 mile both ways, and even flat-2' will have small breaking waves in the shallowest areas.

Jeannie recently repaired the velcro flap for my inflator/deflator, so of course I showed up at the dive site without the inflator/deflator. After a minute of contemplation I decided it would be the most colorful Hawaiian backpack ever and went ahead with the dive. Diving AL100 instead of AL80 and 12lbs instead of 16lbs, only from 1000-500psi required very shallow breathing and no living coral was damaged.

The expansive finger coral means even the biggest reef fana is well hidden by the time a camera is near, and the two Manta Rays we saw were not interested in our exhaust bubbles; very challenging photography! We had a charging back and forth 79 minute dive (44' max depth). If only I could afford a rebreather!

WingOver1.jpg

CirclingBack.jpg

MantaHover.jpg

ShyWaryManta.jpg

IntoTheSun.jpg

Even when we were not close enough to take pictures it seemed we were interrupting the normal evening routine; either not all the cleaner fish came out of hiding or the Manta did not hover as long as usual. Moving in for a picture resulted in everything swimming away; quite different from Ulua, 5-Caves and Molokini (only the manta swims away there). :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom