Pasco County Dive Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

eandiver:
You're a hard core diver if you dove Moon Lake.....the fish I've caught in there had fingers and toes......the gators were reasonably well behaved though. The water skiers were not.
Hey, I used to swim in there for fun, but that was 20 years ago. Water has probably degraded since this, as has Pasco county.

TerryInFlorida:
Of course I had that same problem at Hospital Hole also, some people just don't seem to know what a dive flag even is. We had a boat go right over our heads and we were only in about 6' of water, there is no way they were even looking for us.

Considering the river is all of 20 to 25 feet across in most spots this does not surprise me. Drift diving that river is a suicide mission.

TerryInFlorida:
Thanks for the kind invite. I believe I am having to go fishing the 5th, was suppose to go this weekend but weatherman delayed us...

Anytime, We'll have to dive together some time in the future, I really like your web site. Thinking of registering.

jviehe:
Hey, I used to swim in there for fun, but that was 20 years ago. Water has probably degraded since this, as has Pasco county.

I used to do a lot for fun 20 years ago but that has degraded too..........:D

I remember coming down here every summer to visit my grandparents in the 60's and early 70's. Very different now.

I went to the park to check out the access. I talked to a couple of divers there. I got the impression it's a OK dive but nothing special. I'll be going back in a couple of weeks to check it out. I'll be taking the canoe. Seems to deadly to try to walk or swim.

Hospital Hole is nice dive and is very deep, so be sure you are properly trained and have a primary light and a reel if you are going to the bottom. You can hit 150 at the entrance to the cavern.

The hole itself is about 50-60 yards in circumfrence, and at 75ft you hit what looks like a ring of white smoke, which is actually a large sulfur clooud. The water get's a bit warmer at this point, but it smells pretty bad. When you descend below the sulfur clould it gets darker and colder. The bottom is black muck, and you can easily put your arm, or leg into it about 2 feet. (Don't drop your light).

There is a fixed line with a ball on top of it at the bottom, tie a reel in from here and you can go to the cavern (if you can find it).

Boats will always be on top, it's a popular fishing hole. There are also 3 resident manatee this time of the year, they are very playfull and curious, especially the baby. It will swim right over to you and follow you around to about 30 feet or so.

If you (or any of you) want to know some other spots, or get in on some spring / cavern stuff, give me a call at EZ Scuba in Tampa. 813-887-5712. We dive stuff like this ALL the time.

We are also doing a 3 tank boat trip to the Gulf on Saturday, March 18th. Deep, Wreck and Night dives. Will probably hit the Sheridan if weather is good. You are all welcome to come, call the shop and get on the list. The boat we use is out of Dunedin, so the drive won't be bad for the Pasco folks.

Mike Rushton

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom