Pasco County Dive Spots?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TerryInFlorida

Registered
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone would wish to indulge locations of some of the finer dive locations here in Pasco County? I see we have a couple of people from around here in the roll call, "shout out!". I have the link for the locations of the artificial reefs,

http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/Report_List_ROWS.asp?county=Pasco

Anyone know which of these are the most enjoyable?

I have dived Hospital hole, which has been enjoyable each time. Weeki Wachee which was fun. Moon lake, which I wouldn't really suggest, the water is pretty rank. Mud River, which is pretty clear but as the name suggests the bottom is a lot of mud and if you disturb it you can't see 6" in front of you.

I also dove in Venice, a couple of artifial reefs to 40', which I really liked. I would like to dive more locally.

Thanks...

Terry,
I dive pasco county allot. I've hit Hospital hole and Weeki Wachee springs and really like both. One other place you may want to try if you like hospital hole is the "hudson Grotto", a sink run by Scuba West in Hudson. Vis is not as great as hospital hole and it costs $15.00 per diver for the day, but its a whole lot easier to get to (right off US19), and they have the dive shop across the street. Additionally they have picinic and bathroom facilities on site. If you plan on doing any of these dives and want some dive buddies let me know, I have 3 or 4 other people who will dive on a moments notice (even this weekend if you like). There are other more remote spots in Pasco that require a little planning, and allot of bouyancy control, but they can be done.

Reef wise, you have the M60 tanks and the concrete culverts in the Gulf. I'm doing a dive trip on my boat to the Tanks on March 5th, your welcome to come along, there are 3 going already and i think we can squeeze in 1 or 2 more. Seems like anything better than that is south in Pinellas or tampa area. I'm always looking for new wrecks in Pasco Gulf waters, just wish I had as much free time as I have ambition.

Fgray1, That invite extends to you as well, I hale from Wesley Chapel.

what would viz and fish life be in the gulf
thnx

Can you walk to Hospital hole or do you need a boat. I have a canoe but right now no way to get it there. I sold my truck and it won't fit on my wifes car without messing it up. That would be a fate worse than death. If you can get to it without a boat I wouldn't mind giving it a try this weekend maybe tomrrow.

TerryInFlorida:
I was just wondering if anyone would wish to indulge locations of some of the finer dive locations here in Pasco County? I see we have a couple of people from around here in the roll call, "shout out!". I have the link for the locations of the artificial reefs,

http://myfwc.com/marine/ar/Report_List_ROWS.asp?county=Pasco

Anyone know which of these are the most enjoyable?

I have dived Hospital hole, which has been enjoyable each time. Weeki Wachee which was fun. Moon lake, which I wouldn't really suggest, the water is pretty rank. Mud River, which is pretty clear but as the name suggests the bottom is a lot of mud and if you disturb it you can't see 6" in front of you.

I also dove in Venice, a couple of artifial reefs to 40', which I really liked. I would like to dive more locally.

Thanks...

You're a hard core diver if you dove Moon Lake.....the fish I've caught in there had fingers and toes......the gators were reasonably well behaved though. The water skiers were not.

can't really walk to hospital hole, but if your feeling strong you can swim the 100 or so yards up stream from the public boat ramp. Canoe would be a better option. I was thinking of hitting it today but the weatherman said it would be raining and blowing, so I hit the honeydo list instead. Should have gone diving! thats what I get for listining to the weatherman.

I am going to have to check out the tanks, I saw them at the link for the artificial reefs. Weather needs to get better, was pretty choppy today. I just got a new boat, so I am a bit skiddish about running it out too far until I get a secure feel for the motor. Have the vhf radio and sea tow membership but don't want to throw caution to the wind and get caught up in a position where I may need to use them.

I dive with a couple of guys too, a buddy and my cousin. I am slowly getting my step-son used to diving but so far he has been stuck in the pool.

Thanks for the kind invite. I believe I am having to go fishing the 5th, was suppose to go this weekend but weatherman delayed us...

eandiver:
You're a hard core diver if you dove Moon Lake.....the fish I've caught in there had fingers and toes......the gators were reasonably well behaved though. The water skiers were not.

Yea the water was pretty rank, we had to take extra care to get the smell off the equipment. Gators don't bother me, I grew up here and we used to swim with all kinds of critters. Of course I wouldn't jump in the middle of a feeding pack either, lol...

We had a good dose of the water skiers and boat testers... No wake means swim at your own risk. I almost believe they were intentionally trying to get us to leave, we were dragging the bouy divers flag tied to us and a boat still came close enough I was worried it might get tangled with the line as we watched it zip full throttle above and past us.

Of course I had that same problem at Hospital Hole also, some people just don't seem to know what a dive flag even is. We had a boat go right over our heads and we were only in about 6' of water, there is no way they were even looking for us. The water was crystal clear, I had taken pictures from my boat of my buddy 20' away while he was on the bottom in 6' of water because I was amazed at how clearly I could see him and they came out clear as day...

We are very cautious when we hear a motor while we are down and try to stay as close to the bottom as we can when we are shallow or surface if the water gets too shallow. We were on the outer rim of the hole at the time...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom