Partial Pressure part II

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Nitrogen_Junky

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Everyone the other post was too long and was getting a little off topic so I started a new thread. I went to Aarons dive shop for some sweet sweet NITROX, to my surprise they told me that I needed to have a NITROX VIP done on my tanks? and of course since i drove from Waianae no one told me this over the phone. the NITROX VIP consists of changing the regular O-ring with a VITON O-ring and using christo lube, i argued with them for a while about tanks and regulators not needing any special service for below 40% O2 they stood there ground and gave me the answer "thats the way it s". I am not trying to stir the pot here but just want to make everyone aware so you dont drive over expecting to pay 40$ for fills and end up paying twice that for NITROX VIP's and fills. this si the only time i have ever heard that there was something special you had to do for recreational NITROX fills, everywhere else i have been (Washington, Florida, Virginia and California) if it was good enough for air it was good enough up to 40% O2. So it is either O2 clean/serice or a NITROX VIP, either way you are paying for it. wanted to make sure everyone knew what was up.
As a side note looking for some dive buddies, hit me up with a PM and we can discuss schedules.

If they partial pressure blend then your tanks and valves need to be O2 cleaned. They are exposed to 100% Oxygen for partial pressure blending...doesn't matter that you only end up with 40% ... or 36 or 32 or whatever.

I have no idea how Aaron's gets their Nitrox...so I am assuming here.

Now if they have it pre-blended, or do continious blending or have a membrane, well then it's just a gimmick to get more money out of you. It's their fill station and their safety though.....of course it's your money in your wallet to vote with as you want as well.

Hence I do my own, easier..cheaper and I don't have to deal with what you just experienced. If you want to take a Mixed Gas Blending class to learn more ... many shops offer them, as do I.

Go out and buy Oxygen Hacker from Airspeed Express if you want the "real no BS scoop".

I believe the bank it, so its B.S.

Yeah its membrane and bank, 32 or 36 thats all you can get no custom mixes. scubaanddreams how do you fill your own, this crossed my mind as i use to help out in the local dive shop in San Diego and know how to fill my own mixes from 21% and up using a stick. the only draw back is storing pure O2 in my garage, i have two children and nothing is ever safe around small children.
hey dad look at me! boooom!

Aaron's does indeed want a VIP sticker that says "Nitrox". Because their nitrox is pre-mixed, it's probably not necessary from a safety standpoint.

However, it's their shop so they can make whatever rules they want.

That might piss you off slightly, but keep in mind that Aaron's offers the cheapest and fastest Nitrox service on the island. No other shop will fill Nitrox while you wait, and few will charge $8 for a tank of 36%. You might pay them a few extra dollars once a year to get your tank inspected, but in the long run it'll be cheaper and more convenient for you.

Filling tanks at home is great fun if you're into tinkering with stuff, but you're not going to save money. It'd take the average diver years to recoup the cost of a compressor and all the associated gadgets.

O2 on Hawaii is about 25 cents/cf. Do the math if you do PP at home it's about 3 bucks for an AL80 of 32%

Young Brothers has to get their cut delivering O2 cylinders out here to the Big Island; costs
us about $0.35 / ft^3 over here. Sigh. (I get ABO from Airgas - Gaspro)

Helium is now running $1.15 / ft^3 (from Air Liquide). Last cylinder of He I bought back
in December ran me $0.80 / ft^3. Good thing I dive a CCR so I don't have to buy He that
often :D

Young Brothers has to get their cut delivering O2 cylinders out here to the Big Island; costs
us about $0.35 / ft^3 over here. Sigh. (I get ABO from Airgas - Gaspro)

Helium is now running $1.15 / ft^3 (from Air Liquide). Last cylinder of He I bought back
in December ran me $0.80 / ft^3. Good thing I dive a CCR so I don't have to buy He that
often :D

Yup Helium is the same here....ridiculess. Sucks to be those OC guys :p

Sherman

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom