Park Royal

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Will be staying at the Park Royal for my first trip into Cozumel. I know the website says non-motorized water sports are included and was wondering if they offered anything other than snorkeling in terms of non-motorized water sports? I know other AI's include things like kayaks and wind surfers, etc and know my nephew would love to try some water activities.

I believe they only have snorkeling gear. No kayaks or sailboats. It's a nice beach area, but small.

PH

The only thing that I would add to the info that everyone else has given you, if you stay in the main high rise building do not stay on the first couple of floors. The vaulted hallway is beautiful, however loud and slightly drunk people walking in the hallway at night can be heard clearly in the rooms and will keep you awake at night unless you're a very sound sleeper.

Will be staying at the Park Royal for my first trip into Cozumel. I know the website says non-motorized water sports are included and was wondering if they offered anything other than snorkeling in terms of non-motorized water sports? I know other AI's include things like kayaks and wind surfers, etc and know my nephew would love to try some water activities.
It includes snorkel gear but they only want you to use it for 1 hour. I did see people using a paddle board, and some one from Aqua World giving them lessons. I don't know if the lessons are included in the AI price though.

Friends of ours, non-divers, stayed at Park Royal. It has been 3-4 years, so not sure if this is still relevant.

The only purified water you could get, was from the bar & they would only give you a small solo cup of it at a time...no bottles of water anywhere, no fridge in the room so you could get your own & no water or ice on the floors.

They had already waited over 45 minutes to get their appetizers at the "fancy" restaurant when we stopped by to see them. We went to go eat someplace in town and drove by PR afterwards and could still see them sitting in the restaurant as we drove by.

I've heard that El Cid La Ceiba is moving away from the time-share thing and going back to a full service hotel.

Pretty much the same location as PR, but ON the beach, with great ocean views from all rooms, nice big rooms, great staff, nice beach, 2 pools, I think.

The food was always good when we stayed there, most dive ops pick up at their pier, there is some sort of dive op onsite, for shore diving at least, but not sure who they are affiliated with. Back in "the day" it was Del Mar Aquatics (are they still around?).

Dive with Martin is just next door at the International Pier, that's who we used to used before being forced out of La Ceiba by El Cid and moving to Blue Angel. like those guys a lot.

Last edited:
.I've heard that El Cid La Ceiba is moving away from the time-share thing and going back to a full service hotel.

Pretty much the same location as PR, but ON the beach, with great ocean views from all rooms, nice big rooms, great staff, nice beach, 2 pools, I think.

By "ON the beach" do you mean waterfront, since my recollection is that it is primarily ironshore at the waters edge.

Last edited:
Yeah La Ceiba has nothing but iron shore and ladder entry/exit and their ocean view is totally obstructed by the cruise ships on port.

Have had great experiences at both reservation places at the PR the last few years. The service there is....slower.....but I think it is intentional as it is more of a fine dining experience? It is a more multi course drawn out endeavour than anything else. The steak in the mexican place is pretty good too.

Will be back there end of June this year.

Friends of ours, non-divers, stayed at Park Royal. It has been 3-4 years, so not sure if this is still relevant.

The only purified water you could get, was from the bar & they would only give you a small solo cup of it at a time...no bottles of water anywhere, no fridge in the room so you could get your own & no water or ice on the floors.

That's not been my experience. They have always provided two one liter sized bottles of water every day in the room and more if requested. Also both snack bars have self serve cold water dispensers. You can also get it at all four bars and the buffet. Getting clean water to drink was never an issue. But you are correct about not having a fridge in the room.

We've always had great service at the restaurants. People almost falling over themselves to help you. You friends might have caught them on an off night.

I would hesitate to go back there.

PH

By "ON the beach" do you mean waterfront, since my recollection is that it is primarily ironshore at the waters edge.

No, La Ceiba has a beach...a nice beach. I've laid out on it many times, so I know it's there.

The "waterline" DOES have a limestone break wall instead of the sand sloping into the water, so you do have to use the stairs to enter and exit, or jump in off the pier (my preferred method), but there is a very nice man made beach...by the way almost ALL the beaches at Cozumel resorts (with maybe the exception of the one's way down south), are man made because the natural shoreline of most the channel side of the island is "iron shore" limestone.

If you want true 'natural' beach, head south to Punta Sur or around to the "wild side"

---------- Post added February 28th, 2014 at 12:21 PM ----------

That's not been my experience. They have always provided two one liter sized bottles of water every day in the room and more if requested. Also both snack bars have self serve cold water dispensers. You can also get it at all four bars and the buffet. Getting clean water to drink was never an issue. But you are correct about not having a fridge in the room.

We've always had great service at the restaurants. People almost falling over themselves to help you. You friends might have caught them on an off night.

I would hesitate to go back there.

PH

This was just a year or so after the place re-opened as PR, they could have still been getting it all together, but I witnessed it myself, so I know that WAS the situation.

I would hope things have improved, but have heard nothing to the contrary until now, there's WAY too much competition on the island to provide bad service. and it's waaaay too hot down there to not provide proper hydration for folks.

Back
Top Bottom