Panicking Over Weight of Regulator!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Apeks is billed as the lightest reg in the world at 25 oz.

The Scubapro weighs 27.7oz. Both weighed without hoses.

The difference is a whopping 2.7oz, so not much.

Unfortunately diving is rather gear intensive. I do not envy you trying to travel with dive gear. I am guessing you travel with a reg, mask, fins and borrow/rent the rest. I have traveled with a DSLR setup for UW, and my scuba gear, and keeping it under 50lbs was difficult. I had people I paid to help drag this stuff around and we checked in and then were set. Nothing like what you are doing.

I just purchased a 4/3rds camera system and that would work for your travels both as an UW camera and topside as well. It will not replace a DSLR for action but for travel works well. The DSLR is nicer but a lot larger and heavier. Replacing the DSLR with a 4/3rd camera would save you 5lbs+. Check them out.

OLYMPUS PEN mini E-PM1 | Olympus Imaging Asia
First Impressions: Using The Olympus E-PM1 Underwater|Underwater Photography Guide

Good luck with your travels and your blog!

Last edited:
I just packed my suitcase yesterday for a trip to the red sea..
Regulator, fins, 2 masks, bc and wetboots plus a few changes of underwear and shorts and the bare minimum of toiletries in a hardcase weigh in at 19.9kg and Im limited to 20kg by the airline before I get the NASTY overweight luggage fees so its definetly a bit of a hassle travelling with dive gear.
Now to keep my carryon under 5kg - I think Ill have to hope it wont get weighed rather than staying below 7kg to be quite honest..

Edit: Oh, almost forgot I actually got the UK C8 torch in the hardcase as well, but without batteries.

You could always go with Ti and save all that weight. I know the price is normally insanely different, but Edge just came out with a $700 Ti reg which is a piston w/ swivel similar in design to the MK25 and Atomic 1st stages. That would solve all your weight issues and gusto :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom