Panic!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Recently on my second dive after Open Water Certification I had a mild panic - say 4-5/10 while clearing a full mask. Enough to make me ascend from16m without a safety stop!

I do feel I learned a lot from it though, enough to send me off practicing mask clearing and better self control next time. It gave me the knowledge that I could sit there with a full mask if needed until I calmed down, or even ascend safely with a full mask (hold nose if needed, that kind of thing).

Got me thinking, how often / common are panics? Does everyone have one at some point during their diving 'career'? What are peoples opinions?
If you have a pool and wear contacts, practice at night in the pool with no light, drop to bottom of deep end and remove mask with eyes closed clear it without opening your eyes. I had to do this on a night dive one time after getting kicked in the face. Mask clearing will become like breathing.

A safety stop following an uneventful single tank dive to 16 meters is pointless.
I don’t necessarily agree with this. Can you skip it if necessary? Absolutely. The point of the safety stop is mostly to slow down the ascent. There is some benefit to pause a bit near the surface.

That said, if necessary, I will skip it on occasion. Really depends on what is happening and what my computers say my SurfGF is.

That said, if necessary, I will skip it on occasion. Really depends on what is happening and what my computers say my SurfGF is.
What SurfGF number you would use to skip the safety stop?

Sub 80 is what I’d look for to skip or cut it short.
I mostly dive with EAN32. GF set at 45/80. Do the safety stop every time. I may skip safety stop, in case of emergency (say lost dive buddy) with a surfGF < 75.

I speak as a recreational diver who has less than twenty scuba dives (but I also do freediving) and who in the first dives had panic attacks when emptying the mask.
Remember that recreational diving is done for fun, by definition.
I think a diver must train to the point of knowing how to manage the various problematic situations for him.
The point is to do enough practice to be able to always recover a calm state of mind so as to be able to implement the actions that allow him to restore the normal state of the dive or in the worst case (which must be rare), to resurface without getting hurt due to a hasty ascent (due to barotrauma or DCS).
To give an example, you must be able to remove or replace your mask underwater, but I don't think it's necessary to be able to do an entire dive without a mask: it's a skill that I'm not interested in having and it doesn't make the dive more fun.
I think it is enough to get to the point of knowing how to regain calm and manage the situation, without necessarily having to change one's nature. Once that point is reached, in my opinion the diver must be able to dive in the way that is most comfortable for him.

One of my instructors said, "As long as you are breathing, everything is cool".
I got same advice from my instructor - solid! Stop what you are doing and tell this to yourself. It's helped me get through some tense moments.

I have also found it helps to focus on something small .... a tiny critter, computer screen, spg etc. It's hard to do with a maskful of water but as soon as you clear, look at something small and remind yourself if you have air, it's all good, then address any other issues.

Do not look to the surface as your mind will automatically want you to flee that way.

I think it is enough to get to the point of knowing how to regain calm and manage the situation, without necessarily having to change one's nature. Once that point is reached, in my opinion the diver must be able to dive in the way that is most comfortable for him.

How did you overcome your panic attacks when emptying the mask Goonzodiver

@happy-diver

Lots of snorkeling practice with mask or goggles and snorkel.
If I felt that mouth breathing was interfering with keeping water out of my nose, and for some reason I couldn't expel it, I closed my nose with my fingers and this allowed me to easily regain control of my breathing and I immediately calmed down.
The main problem was emptying the mask, basically even if I blow from my nose, the water finds a way to get in, to the point of making me start coughing. If that happens, I again partially close my nose with my fingers and try again, keeping my nose partially closed, this way I always solve the problem.
It may not be the most elegant way to empty the mask, but I don't care, this allows me to do all the dives I want in peace, both with scuba, accompanied or not [I've a couple a tanks] and freediving.
And I'm calm, because I've verified several times, in my tests (for example replacing a mask underwater) that now I can handle this kind of situations, even if not exactly the way I was taught....
Basically, the way I see it, you have to be able to handle the water in your nose and you have to be able to empty the mask, and always with what you have available.

Well, having said that, there is also the issue of comfort, you have to be able to handle the water in your nose and so on, but it is not a given that one has to endure it on every dive...after all I dive for pleasure.

@happy-diver

If I felt that mouth breathing was interfering with keeping water out of my nose, and for some reason I couldn't expel it, I closed my nose with my fingers and this allowed me to easily regain control of my breathing and I immediately calmed down.
The main problem was emptying the mask, basically even if I blow from my nose, the water finds a way to get in, to the point of making me start coughing. If that happens, I again partially close my nose with my fingers and try again, keeping my nose partially closed, this way I always solve the problem.
It may not be the most elegant way to empty the mask, but I don't care, this allows me to do all the dives I want in peace, both with scuba, accompanied or not [I've a couple a tanks] and freediving.
And I'm calm, because I've verified several times, in my tests (for example replacing a mask underwater) that now I can handle this kind of situations, even if not exactly the way I was taught....
Basically, the way I see it, you have to be able to handle the water in your nose and you have to be able to empty the mask, and always with what you have available.

Well, having said that, there is also the issue of comfort, you have to be able to handle the water in your nose and so on, but it is not a given that one has to endure it on every dive...after all I dive for pleasure.
@Goon
@happy-diver

@happy-diver

They are on the point answers from @Goonzodiver!
Any problem, find a workaround that works for you ... dive within your ability / limitations and enjoy it!! If that's not text book, who cares?!! 👍

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom