Panic!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At some point I definitely was not breathing properly which contributed. The 'instructor' - person leading the dive tried to calm me - I actually alerted him to my distress and he tried his best but by that time I was adamant the solution was to ascend. Lesson learned.
I remember during my fundies during the mask take off portion I did not panic, but I was PISSED as **** for other reasons.

I gave the thumbs up and instead my instructor forced me to calm down, we never ascended, I finished the drill after I calmed down.

A powerful team is worth a lot too, if all else fails, they are your last hope (Though that is a very extreme scenario, a powerful team is always there for you)

I have seen this said so many times on this forum, and each time I have to laugh. There are MANY problems or issues that can happen underwater which are significantly more urgent or serious than simply not being able to breathe!.
Examples?

one thing I will add is learning to be comfortable controlling your breathing. If you have access to a pool just learning to swim and practicing controlling your breathing. For example, sinking to the bottom of the pool while slowing exhaling and trying to relax. (do not do alone!). During my ow I did a practice mask clearing and I took a big gulp of sea water which really through me off. I had told me my instructor to wait and I just did nothing till by body absorbed the water. My instructor has just hanging out watching me until I gave him and ok sign. I explained what happen to the instructor later and he said most people would have panicked. I have swallowed a lot water while swimming so I knew it would pass, although it was a lot more.

A safety stop following an uneventful single tank dive to 16 meters is pointless.
A friend of mine (scientist) was doing routine survey of reef in the Keys. First dive of the day, no tissue loading from previous dive. He started at a dock in 3m of water and followed the bottom down to 15m. Spent 50 minutes documenting coral conditions, then returned to surface. All with ascent rate under 3m/min. After exiting the water, he suddenly collapsed and was rushed to a chamber. He's still alive, but he is paraplegic and will never walk again. DCS and AGE have a @#% random quality. You can be WAY within no-deco limits and still get bent. My opinion is that a safety stop should be made for all dives deeper than 10m.

getting eaten by a shark is up there but what other serous issues are there more than not being able to breathe
Sharks, eels, a boat trying to run you over on surface, even an uncontrolled ascent might be best managed by an immediate exhalation and delayed inhalation

DCS and AGE have a @#% random quality. You can be WAY within no-deco limits and still get bent. My opinion is that a safety stop should be made for all dives deeper than 10m.

Ok well that's a rather unusual case, I've never seen or read anything even remotely close to something like that.

AGE isn't related to no-Deco limits and is not correlated with time at depth.

Sharks, eels, a boat trying to run you over on surface, even an uncontrolled ascent might be best managed by an immediate exhalation and delayed inhalation
Those are dangers, but not sure I’d rank them above not being able to breathe. Sharks is a possible tie. In actuality, there are very few things that are to the level of not being able to breathe. With very few exceptions, if you can breathe, you have time to work out the problem.

Ok well that's a rather unusual case, I've never seen or read anything even remotely close to something like that.

AGE isn't related to no-Deco limits and is not correlated with time at depth.
Someone I know, won't name names, had a "undeserved" (No hits are undeserved, we just don't know the full science yet) hit.

Their profile was nothing out of the ordinary, luckily they are fine now.

It does happen, being extra conservative and safe can never hurt!

And when things do go wrong/**** hits the fan, you might get a lot closer to the danger zone then you'd like.

Back
Top Bottom