Question Panic in the experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem to me that, as we gain experience and go through some minor glitches on dives, we should increase our capacity to tolerate issues underwater. I'm wondering what could cause an experienced (say, more than 200 lifetime dives) diver to become distressed enough to lose rational thought. Has anyone here (who meets those criteria) been through a panic event? What caused it, and what did you do?

Not at all. I've always surmized that anyone regardless of experience can panic. Seems oldschoolto is saying that he basically has had complete panic resistance his whole life.

Maybe it is my career but I have never seen a military or commercial diver panic. Granted there is a selection and a self-selection process at play but I doubt it is that rare. Look at combat soldiers, submariners, police, commercial pilots, and fire fighters to name a few. There are rare cases where one of them might panic but it is just that, very rare. Many are certainly faced with more panic-inducing situations than commercial divers.

I have observed panic in recreational divers; strangely enough most were on the surface. I came close to panic when I was about 6 years old when my brothers rolled me up in a rug. Just as I was ready to freak out it occurred to me that I wasn’t going to die and never felt that emotion again. I am confident that there are lots of people who will never panic. I can’t say if that is purely nature or if training and experience plays a major role. Training and experience definitely reduces the risk of panic, but have no idea if they are fundamental factors.

I'm on the road, so typing on my phone.. When I get home wensday morning I tell you the story of me getting my arm caught in a conver belt and snapping the arm in half and the bone coming through the bicep.. And how I handled it and the people around me... Good story of cool under pressure...

Jim....

I see panic as a state that occurs after all other avenues are expended. For some this is single pointed action, for others paralysis (fight or flight or freeze).

People who are used to working through problems have a tendency to continue to seek solutions and trust their ability to manage variables longer than people who do not have that experience. This is a compounding process in a way, because those who are comfortable doing so tend to gravitate to situations where this occurs whereas those that aren't, don't. The more practice you have at successfully solving problems under stress, the more comfortable you are in those conditions.

It's not really a courage/fear thing. People who don't panic just seem to be able to push the moment where one feels there are no options left, off longer. When they hit the wall they too will probably act in the same way.

I don't know there a many test pilots who never stopped working the problem or were able to pass on data to ground control to impact... Never a hope to live but did their job to the end..

Jim...

I'm on the road, so typing on my phone.. When I get home wensday morning I tell you the story of me getting my arm caught in a conver belt and snapping the arm in half and the bone coming through the bicep.. And how I handled it and the people around me... Good story of cool under pressure...

Jim....
Only if you include pictures and video.

Will pictures of my bicep with its popie deformity be good and I may have a x-ray of the rod holding the bone in one piece

Jim...

I see panic as a state that occurs after all other avenues are expended. For some this is single pointed action, for others paralysis (fight or flight or freeze).

People who are used to working through problems have a tendency to continue to seek solutions and trust their ability to manage variables longer than people who do not have that experience. This is a compounding process in a way, because those who are comfortable doing so tend to gravitate to situations where this occurs whereas those that aren't, don't. The more practice you have at successfully solving problems under stress, the more comfortable you are in those conditions.

It's not really a courage/fear thing. People who don't panic just seem to be able to push the moment where one feels there are no options left, off longer. When they hit the wall they too will probably act in the same way.
That's as good a description as I have seen. This states that eventually anyone will panic given the right situation, which I still believe. Maybe some never will-- how do we decide this? Tests with diver volunteers?

Actual panic is pretty rare in the real world, at least outside of scuba. What is often referred to as panic is often objectively not panic, it's focused urgent action. There was a study of people's behavior in fires with mass casualties that showed that panic typically happened very late. Essentially you get panic when all the rational approaches have been exhausted.

http://www.atsdr.cdc.gov/emergency_response/common_misconceptions.pdf
http://tkolb.net/FireReports/PanicInFire09.pdf

Well I will still say ANYONE is capable of panic. I agree that as long as you have options to work through some people seem less inclined to panic. Some may be self belief, some is certainly training and I also believe some of it may even be genetic coding. I would suggest that people with higher "Stress tolerance" for want of a better term are more likely to engage in higher risk activities/ professions.

For those of us who have never panicked, we haven't been pushed too far for our personal limit to be overwhelmed. IMHO It could still happen.

Well I will still say ANYONE is capable of panic...

Capable is a safe choice of words. Arguing that anyone will panic in the right circumstance defies a lot of evidence. Many people have died resigned to their death or continue trying until losing consciousness.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom