Question Panic in the experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem to me that, as we gain experience and go through some minor glitches on dives, we should increase our capacity to tolerate issues underwater. I'm wondering what could cause an experienced (say, more than 200 lifetime dives) diver to become distressed enough to lose rational thought. Has anyone here (who meets those criteria) been through a panic event? What caused it, and what did you do?

Well the humor behind the laughter (as well as stifling the growing panic being lost in an engine room at 60m/200' max depth) was it looked like my buddy "de-materialized" or disappeared right in front of me! In retrospect it might have been a zig-zag partition he negotiated with a Z-axis three foot ascent and then 180deg change direction right over me, but I never saw him: he literally vanished into the bulkhead in front of me in the haze as far as I could tell! (Wasn't narc'd at all on 20/20 "Tropical Economy Trimix"). . .

That is wild. I've never seen it underwater but at Amsterdam airport in fog and a fuzzy head from being awake 36 hrs, watched jumbojets lift off right in front of the terminal window. At maybe 10m off the ground each one just utterly dissappeared like with the flipping of a switch. It was exactly like they made the jump to hyperspeed :)
Seen deer do it too on a misty morning over snow. Standing perfectly still, right in front of my and in the middle of an open field. Cloaking on/off/on as I see them, no I don't, oh yes right there, hups gone again! I can just imagine how this same vision effect rattles you at 60m!

I want to post ... But, don't want anyone to take this the wrong way.. I have never ever panicked... About anything.. From my 18 wheeler half jack knifed on a ice covered highway.. On fire at 250 mph in a AA fuel dragster... Flying my plane to far in to weather and not being able to see anything in a VFR airplane... Test jumping parachutes for the first time...Gun fights.. It all just goes in to slow motion and I seam to just work through it.. I can relive it in my head... And it's all right there... I guess I'm just lucky..

Jim....

I have never ever panicked...

Ever lose sight of your child in a busy location for a few minutes? Panic comes from different places - not always for your own safety but for those around you too. :D

Ever lose sight of your child in a busy location for a few minutes? Panic comes from different places - not always for your own safety but for those around you too. :D

I know there is some jest intended, but panic is not just scared. Panic is a frenetic and unproductive reaction. All but the very most experienced become fearful in emergency situations — EMTs, military Medics, and ER personnel for example. Dive emergencies and lost children don’t happen often enough for everyone’s pulse to stay normal.

I never met oldschoolto but I can’t picture him uncontrollably wailing in a toy isle because his granddaughter is not where he expected… after she’s found maybe :wink:

No.... Yes lost my daughter when she was 6 yrs old... No panic. Just work the problem... I knew " Most would not understand " The right stuff... Ice water in your vains... Cool under pressure... And as was sent to me in a private massage.. NAFOD = No Apparent Fear Of Dying ...

Jim....

No.... Yes lost my daughter when she was 6 yrs old... No panic. Just work the problem... I knew " Most would not understand " The right stuff... Ice water in your vains... Cool under pressure... And as was sent to me in a private massage.. NAFOD = No Apparent Fear Of Dying ...

Jim....

I guess their are exceptions to every rule, as you appear to be a rarity. No joking at all-- you would be able to do one of those black ops jobs you see on TV where they make life and death decisions on the spot- like NCIS LA, etc.

I guess their are exceptions to every rule, as you appear to be a rarity. No joking at all-- you would be able to do one of those black ops jobs you see on TV where they make life and death decisions on the spot- like NCIS LA, etc.

Do you really feel that high levels of panic resistance are that uncommon?

A friend of mine had this.

He was doing his IDC and, for reasons I still don't understand, was asked to remove his mask at 20 metres; by the CD. Chris; my friend, tried and then panicked uncontrollably. He quit the IDC and diving. To my knowledge he hasn't dived in 5 years now and barely swims. He was around the 200 dive mark when he took the IDC. The only thing that he could put it down to was that he was never really meant to be a diver.

Better to learn then------than later, when 'things' might not have turned out as 'good'...........??.........

I panicked once really bad. Totally froze up couldn't move or even move my head to look around, just screaming. I always thought "freezing up" was an exaggeration, but apparently not.

Do you really feel that high levels of panic resistance are that uncommon?
Not at all. I've always surmized that anyone regardless of experience can panic. Seems oldschoolto is saying that he basically has had complete panic resistance his whole life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom