Question Panic in the experienced diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It would seem to me that, as we gain experience and go through some minor glitches on dives, we should increase our capacity to tolerate issues underwater. I'm wondering what could cause an experienced (say, more than 200 lifetime dives) diver to become distressed enough to lose rational thought. Has anyone here (who meets those criteria) been through a panic event? What caused it, and what did you do?

during my intro to cave diving i was ask to remove my mask follow the line and exit the cave... oh well a simple task that turn to be a nightmare.

I thing the story is facing a stressful event that lead to panic goes back to training and practice. Once you master and understand a certains situation the outcome could be only good.

So now i do take out my mask often just for the hell of it, i also put my reg away and do recovering and also go to the surface without it on shallow dive. i switch also from my get to my octo to my pony bottle. the deployment of a dsmb is a good task load exercise that i practice often too.

Unfortunately i didn't complete the intro to cave dive due to schedule and work. But i didn't stop to dive.

Safe diving.

Now that you are enjoying so much at these things and become confident
I say you stop now, in case you hit your maskregless head on the boat hull
or a rock or fish or a buoy or a whale, and maybe you injure, or something

So now i do take out my mask often just for the hell of it, i also put my reg away and do recovering and also go to the surface without it on shallow dive.

Now that you are enjoying so much at these things and become confident
I say you stop now, in case you hit your maskregless head on the boat hull
or a rock or fish or a buoy or a whale, and maybe you injure, or something
😂

I get you like practicing emergency skills, but maybe be a bit careful out there. Accidents can happen in a flash, even for experienced divers. Just watch your environment and look out for your safety too. All the best!

:scubadiver:
Ya I go free diving so I've had my share of close calls, or so it felt like it. It really just experience for the most part.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom