Panic in OW - advice needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all,
I am new to diving and finished my open water about three weeks ago. Unforunatelly my check out dives did not turn out the way I wished they had and I would like to ask the more experienced folks for some advice, since this experience messed really bad with my mind and confidence in persuing diving.

I do not want this post to become endless, so I will try to cut it best I can.

I was always fascinated by the beauties of the underwater world but I always had a lot of respect for scuba diving and there has always been some kind of feeling/anxiety that kept me from trying scuba. Recently I kept thinking a lot about it and if it was a §Çear that resulted from not knowing anything about scuba (like the typical Ÿhat if©å ) or just my immagination how I ÅØould feel.

I took a ŵry Scuba class (pool) prior to my open water to find out how I really felt about it and if I wanted to take the class. I talked about my concerns with the instructor and was doing totally fine. I did not have any problems with any of the skills during ÅÕry scuba or my OW sessions . It was a 2 week course, I had a really good instructor!, we were only two students and got a LOT of personal attention.
After finishing the pool sessions I got really nervous about going into the ocean for the check out dives, I donÃÕ know, pool was not = ocean for me. I was worried about some kind of situation coming up that I would not know how to handle. I talked to my instructor, thought he should know.

On our first dive, I was nervous, but we really took it slow and he always watched us like a hawk. We did some skills on the surface,descended, did some skills at the bottom, went for a swim, no problems.

On our second dive I was still nervous and my breathing was far away from §Ïormal? At about 15 our instructor asked me to remove my mask, put it back on and clear it, like I have done several times in the pool sessions without any problems. He had us do some other skills like clearing our masks on that dive before, without any problems.
I removed my mask and realized, that I was not breathing at all. My heart was pounding so hard as if it would want to jump right out of my chest. I remembered the §Ïever hold your breath ringing in my head and tried to take a deep breath but my chest felt so tight that I could not get a breath out of that regulator. Instead I had a lot of water entering (through my nose, I guess). I tried again©Ôame result. At that point I simply lost it, I could not see, I could not breath, done, I bolted to the surface. The instructor immediatelly grabed and held on to my BCD on the way to the surface. It seemed like an eternity. He inflated my BC on the surface, grabed my hand and insisted that I looked at him. After I had calmed down, he told me that I had spit out my regulator under water I had not even realized.
I will never forget this feeling of panic, it is the worse I have ever felt.
I felt ashamed that I had comletely lost control over myself and have put him in this situation. All I could say was that I was sorry.

I finished all three dives that day and the two following the next day. Yes, I know, maybe I should have called it, but I know ,if I had, I would probably not have gone back into the water . The instructor had me clear my mask a lot with no pressure at all and I finally took of that mask at the end of our last dive after refusing a couple of times before. Not because I was comfortable with it, but because I thought, if I do not do it now, it will just get worse.

I got certified that day, but I was not ready to go out there again unless I had myself under controll and with an experienced buddy. My instructor offered to take me out on some dives to work on skills if I wanted to or just to become more comfortable.

The first week after the check out dives I was seriously considering quiting, because every time I thought about diving my heart started pounding against chest again. My memories of that weekend are more like a dream I had than reality. I felt really misserable. It got better after I finally decided not to quit and work through it.

I read up on a lot of stuff (including all the good advice on scuba board, thanks for that) to find out what was ÅØrong with me and worked hard on my mask skills during the last few weeks. I spend hours in the pool (still do, to keep going)and in shallow open water (kneeling on the bottom at 5 with a friendÃÔ tank). I went on a dive with my instructor a couple of days ago, he cut of 4h of his time to go on a 45 min. dive with me! Yes, I did take of my mask on that dive, and yes, it took some effort, but I was in control. I think I have improved a lot, since I can now take of my mask in the ocean without the panicky feeling coming up, controlling my breathing and staying calm while doing the skill. I think the most important change for me was, I now keep my eyes OPEN under water, even if it is not sharp, at least I can see.

But even though, I have some serious questions, that are eating me up.
1) Are there many students having these kind of problems/feelings?
2) Will I be more prone to panic again in the future, if I already panicked once? I know that panic does not belong under water. This leading to my next question.
3) Should I be diving at all? I had somebody telling me, źou should not be in the water at all? I do not want to quit, but I do not want to be a hazard to myself or even worse my buddy!

Sorry, for the long post, but I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks.

I've read this quite carefully and here are my thoughts.

I have taught many types of people over the years who have panicked. They have panicked in the pool, they have panicked in Open Water... and generally speaking, a few panic in their daily lives.

It is the few who make panic a routine thing that concern me the most. Confusing panic with trouble mastering a skill is not a fair comparison.

Had you simply shot to the surface with a mask full of water - I'd call that trouble mastering a skill. Shooting to the surface however along with pulling the regulator out of your mouth goes more to full blown panic.

Do you panic at other things outside of diving? Are you an anxious person? Nervous? Struggling with any personal issues? If so, then diving is likely not the best sport for you. With that said, we have had great success getting a few people over their panic - well enough that we feel comfortable they will dive within the limits prescribed for them.

In other words - your c-card may be good to 60 or 100 feet... but we start with you going no deeper than how we train a solo diver - go no deeper than twice that which you can safely go on a single breath of air (free diving.) In other words if you can do a breath-hold dive to the bottom of a 10' pool and thats all you're comfortable with - start your Scuba Career by going no deeper than 20'.

You will find that there is plenty to see in 20' of water... and you will feel much safer and better about what you're doing. This confidence is the best defender against panic. After you have built confidence at 20', extend your range by no more than 10' at a time. Each time you go out within your prescribed limit - test yourself on any skills that make you prone to panic.

If you panic, use your mental panic security word - BREATHE. If there is only one thing I want you to remember in full panic mode - it is to BREATHE. Slowly and deeply breathe leaving your regulator in your mouth. Deep slow breaths will bring you out of panic mode - so it is imperative you keep your regulator in your mouth at all times. Nothing else really matters - for as long as that regulator is in your mouth - you are breathing and alive. Pull it out - and you die.

So in addition to diving within your prescribed limit - always dive with a buddy who understands you have some issues. Make that buddy an experienced diver who is equipped mentally and physically to deal with your issues.

Given time for you to hone your skills to the point where they become second nature - like riding a bike, or throwing a ball or raising to get out of bed in the morning, eventually you should be able to elimnate the flight portion of "fight or flight."

If you have any other questions, please don't be afraid to ask

Hello Jamba and thanks so much for the update. It is a testimony to your character that you have seen this through. I like the saying "Comming full circle!". It sometimes takes a while but once we achieve our goal amist struggle we arrive at a place of strength. This calm, confident, assurance can and will change our lives.
Congratulations and welcome to the diving community. We are all in a state of constant change, "evolution" as divers / individuals.Thus experiences like you have progressed through enable us to achieve new goals and greater challenges in our lives.
I have found a direct link between diving and life in my life personaly. Stop, Think, ACT are good principals to apply when having a day out of "Murphy's hand book".
I look forward to hearing more of your progress. Keep us posted!
Good luck and safe diving!
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

The same things happened to me in my pool sessions and I bolted to the surface twice. I finally figured it out...exhale through the nose and no water gets in. Having a purge valve in the mask helped also. The anxiety will go away the more that you dive, but never, never lose respect for the water. Good luck!

I finished all three dives that day and the two following the next day. Yes, I know, maybe I should have called it, but I know ,if I had, I would probably not have gone back into the water . The instructor had me clear my mask a lot with no pressure at all and I finally took of that mask at the end of our last dive after refusing a couple of times before. Not because I was comfortable with it, but because I thought, if I do not do it now, it will just get worse.

Sorry, for the long post, but I would really appreciate some advice.
Thanks.

First, congrats! And I am so glad for you that you did get back in the water. The old addage "when you fall off a horse get right back on" serves a great purpose. A perosn is more likely to never get over their fear of something by waiting to experience it again.

Also, I have to give everyone ocean-side a huge round of applause. I went from the pool to a quarry. Yeah, it can be boring. Green water with moderate to low viz. Rainbow trout (if you are lucky) rather than jellyfish and seals. Sunk school buses instead of vibrant coral reefs.

BUT, it is a SAFE environment. No current. No surge. No waves. Just cold green water.

Can you do ANY diving within an inland lake or quarry? Something less vast than the ocean?

A non-ocean location to dive may be a great way to advance your pool skills in a more controlled open water environment.

Good luck to you. I hope you stick with diving.

I had an issue when the regulator/mask removal drill and panicked too. Luckily I survived that and really had it pounded into my head that panic kills. It's seldom that your equipment fails you. If you do the most rudimentary inspection & maintenance then your equipment will do its job. It's the human factor that's what kills us most of the time.

It's the human factor that's what kills us most of the time.

I think that for the most part you are correct about this, but it is often more complicated than this.

In these parts, where much of the diving is fairly deep (100' +) and almost always cold (39F to 45F is typical below 70' even in the summer) accidents are often the result of a series of thinks that happen, and the responses to those things. We call them "cascading events"...

Thankfully, serious accidents are not as common as they once were, but when I managed a dive operation in Tobermory 30 years ago, there was at least 2 or 3 fatalaties every year. Not in the country... in the waters around Tobermory! Typically, the accident would unfold something like this:

A diver, who in many cases was fairly inexperienced, on a dive that was possibly deeper than he was used to, would have some little thing go wrong. This might be a tank slipping from a back pack, or a free-flowing regulator for example. Neither of these things would be a big deal in many cases, but in these serious accidents, the diver responded incorrectly... and likely paniced... and ended up dead.

Better training and more reliable equipment has helped, but at the end of the day, the biggest risk to us as divers, is... "us". Which is the whole point of this thread.

Get some experience. Dive within your limits. Maintain your equipment. And above all... dive as often as you can. There is NOTHING like experience, when it comes to resolving problems in the water.

I like one of the previous suggestions about spending more time at the bottom of the pool with your mask removed. This will strengthen your comfort level. If you are concerned or remember the water entering your nose, try to look slightly downward when your mast is off. This will create a bit of a bubble in your nostrals and help hold the water out. If this isn't enough, when you first remove your mask, hold your nose closed, regain your composure and then clean, don and clear as instructed. I've been diving for nearly twenty years and I do not like being at depth without my mask on. It's only natural to have your feelings of anxiety, but training and practice will help you overcome. Enjoy the deep.

Jamba,

Great job sticking to it! Sounds like you have a superb instructor. Well done on getting your C-card and coming here and being honest about how you felt and asking for help - that's more than half the battle.

I read through this entire thread and saw your progress and have to say Bravo!

Another thing I want to stress for you is to keep learning! Once you have some more dives under your weight-belt - take a specialty class - take two :wink:

Eventually you will learn to be very comfortable and will begin to truly relax underwater. It does take time - things like buoyancy control and being very comfortable with your equipment definitely help as well.

I see that you are in SoCal - I am in San Diego - and would love to dive if you need a buddy. I will be departing the area for six-seven months at the end of this one, but I also have other Dive Master friends who would be more than pleased to help. It's always better when you have a pro with you who can give advice - or even just be there to help 'just in case'.

My dive buddy on our first OW checkout bolted on the mask removal and clear - she didn't spit the reg - but she went straight for the surface - and did not dive again for years - but you know what - she came back to it and is now diving again :) - keep it up - you are not alone - as many have pointed out. Sometimes it take a little more one on one to help some students. It's obvious you love it, so hang in there - and keep learning - it's the best way to stay up on skills and you would be surprised how much you will learn.

Best of luck! Keep diving. :D

Hi Jamba, great to hear that things are improving, there have been many good suggestions here, but I have a quick one to add:

If you are feeling the onset of a panicky feeling coming on, look down and hold your nose until you breathing rate subsides.

Many people have a sensitive "snort reflex" (similar to the gag reflex but a response to getting water in the nostrils) which closes the airways. As the nostrils fill, the breathing rate increases causing more water to enter the nose, thus worsening the problem, the reflex closes the airway creating a feeling of suffocation and ultimately the diver bolts to the surface.

Holding the nose momentarily will allow you to get everything under control, then clear the water from the mask and nose and continue the dive.

I have read most of the replies and most of them are correct.

However I wish to add my two cent. During that same skill in confined water I paniced and went to shoot to the service, my instructor grabbed hold of me and pushed the purge valve on my reg, I started breathing and calmed. After that I was fine and me and my Instructor since my Advanced Course occasionally swap masks on dives.

Something I've learnt is to know your limits. If you feel a dive isn't within your limits don't dive, talk to your divemaster/instructor about the dive (if one is present) but feel pressured into diving, its down to you, even if you don't dive, that means something else can't. Diving is a dangerous sport as you well know, but when its done correctly its a relaxing and enjoyable experience. (And when its not cold :p)

If you weren't scared, I'd say don't dive. There is being scared and understanding its dangerous, and then there is being cocky. Being cocky is dangerous and causes accidents. Since completion of my rescue course in 2005, I've seen so many accidents just because of cocky divers and I've had to deal with a few emergencies unfortunately, but thats the way it is.

Continuing your education will help you a great deal, especially the Rescue Course, its the best course I've done, it gives you such a great insight and you became aware of everyone around you, but first do some dives with the people or person you feel most comfortable with and someone capable of dealing with a situation should it arise, such as your Instructor. Your Instructor sounds like one of the better instructors, an understanding one, so do some dives with him/her and they will steer you right.

I will leave you now with a saying that Cave Divers have, one that I have adopted for all my dives and regulerly tell people I dive with: Any diver can end the dive at any time for whatever reason.
If you need to end the dive. End it. You even have to give a reason. Don't feel bad about ending it if it stops everyone else diving, at the end of the day, if your not comfortable you need to get out. I am glad you haven't let your experience stop you diving, there is a whole new world out there to explore and I have only explored 0.1% of it.

Good luck and remember, if you feel panic take you, stop. Breath. Think. Act!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom