Pandemic Bug; Tiny Doubles (Pics)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Photos would be great.

I've thought about making my own bands, I don't think it would be hard to copy the ones I have. My problem is time, just can't seem to find enough for all the projects I already have.

The technique I used is the same as @captain's post above except I used thinner stainless and added the plastic spacers. His posts might have inspired me, I can't remember for sure. I did it because I couldn't find bands for a special rig with a very narrow gap between cylinders used for commercial bailout bottles. You can see the custom doubles manifold here: O-rings for Divers, Post #6

Akimbo, those look pretty good, I like the polish, and that's not a bad way to make the spacing. I have a ton of sheet metal experience so for me it's easier to figure out the flat and make it, these can't be more than +/-0.010" C-C. The flats are punched on a CNC press and the bends done in a CNC Brake.

Captain, I like those pretty good, its too bad no one makes a modern triple manifold, I would want one. I thought about doing it that exact way but didn't like the idea of all those small radius bends, well executed.

I put together the 50's today, Can't be happier with how they came out.
Two outside bolts do the clamping , threaded rod locked in place with a jamb nut (cant see it but it's there)
upload_2021-4-2_0-13-44.png

upload_2021-4-2_0-14-9.png

upload_2021-4-2_0-14-34.png

upload_2021-4-2_0-15-20.png

Magnificent form of artwork!

Remember this top secret project when Gilldiver was enquiring about cga fittings

full.jpg

Triple 72's

Magnificent!

full.jpg

Tiny Doubles

Magnificent!

Steel is where it's at ha ha ha 50s at 232bar 3364.88psi with double discs the sky is the limit

full.jpg

Whoosh literally ha ha ha!

Magnifique!
Ha ha ha!

Akimbo, those look pretty good, I like the polish, and that's not a bad way to make the spacing. I have a ton of sheet metal experience so for me it's easier to figure out the flat and make it, these can't be more than +/-0.010" C-C. The flats are punched on a CNC press and the bends done in a CNC Brake.

Captain, I like those pretty good, its too bad no one makes a modern triple manifold, I would want one. I thought about doing it that exact way but didn't like the idea of all those small radius bends, well executed.

I put together the 50's today, Can't be happier with how they came out.
Two outside bolts do the clamping , threaded rod locked in place with a jamb nut (cant see it but it's there)
View attachment 651241
View attachment 651242
View attachment 651243
View attachment 651244

I made the ( modern 3/4" ) triple manifold using a combination of a USD 3/4" double manifold and a USD J valve.

I have a ton of sheet metal experience so for me it's easier to figure out the flat and make it, these can't be more than +/-0.010" C-C. The flats are punched on a CNC press and the bends done in a CNC Brake.

Very nicely done. I can't even see any seams. Did you roll the bands or is the stainless thin enough that it wasn't required?

Magnificent form of artwork!

Remember this top secret project when Gilldiver was enquiring about cga fittings

Triple 72's

Magnificent!

Tiny Doubles

Magnificent!

Those trip 72s are aw!

John's page is what made me just go for it, can't wait to dive these and see how they dive
Very nicely done. I can't even see any seams. Did you roll the bands or is the stainless thin enough that it wasn't required?

The stainless is punched and then the bends done in a brake, basically making a big V looking piece, then I rolled these around a form. First ones were awkward but after I figured out how to jig it up they went fast. I may try a slip roll in the future but it will probably be more work than using a jig since you need to roll near the bends firstm then bend then roll the rest.

The material is 16ga which is probably overkill for this but I didn't want any wobble, it worked, they are like cement after tightened.

I made the ( modern 3/4" ) triple manifold using a combination of a USD 3/4" double manifold and a USD J valve.

I'm sure that was a decent amount or work, looks like it paid off, I like how slim the triple is, not sure there is a better way to have 120 on your back.

Gilldiver at the time said his triple 72’s were a bear and were very roll inducing. I recall him not diving the setup much and possibly once or twice tops.

I’m now wondering about how triple 50’s would be with a Capt manifold though...

Reactions: Cio
Gilldiver at the time said his triple 72’s were a bear and we’re very roll inducing.

I dove this delta-pack triple 72s a few times. It got the job done but wasn't a fav.

full.jpg

It was a poor-man's version of the rig sold by US Divers in 1969.

upload_2021-4-2_13-5-55.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom