Panay Explorers Reef Dome Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am not kidding....no money for now. When you come visit you pay for another one to be built. I got it. Okay, when I figure out what paint to use then I'll mark them. We want to build a HOUSE REEF out of these rascals and personalize them a bit. There is a place in California called PAINTED ROCK with peoples names. Kind of an organized graffiti. That is what I want to do. I got you covered....no worries. I just hope these post don't get deleted so I don't forget the names...LOLOLOL.

then again... every one wants one right?

with a little stenciling and spray paint BE part of helping mother nature!

koyareefball.jpg

Jag

did i mention my story of the Madrigal/ Wearns artificial reef project in calatagan (batangas)?

i don't know if they still do that to this day, but i was actually my 1st fun dive after OW a few years ago...

all you had to do was to go there... and all you had to do was to help them with the reef balls - either stacking them into pyramids or rolling them closer to the pyramids so other divers could carry them up (a reefball was a cube about 2ft on each side and weighed 70kg i hear)

they covered food, accommodations, booze and airfills (no gear rentals, it wasn't a resort but a private beach villa compound built by old money)... you even got a tshirt for your efforts and a certificate...

I heard over the span of a couple years they built something like 8 pyramids (approx 6 cubes high) and connected them w/ a sort of "wall" of cubes (1 or 2 cubes high)

a very successful project, but the guy running the operation and the owner of the property i think had a falling out... don't know if the operation continues to this day

it was amazing fun that's for sure

Jag

ninja: here's a writeup www.lakbay.net/traveltales/tales84.asp, http://swordfish2.multiply.com/journal/item/14

so hard to find images though...

The stencil is a great idea......<hmmm, the wheels are turning now>.....lemme work on that idea as well. I'll see what we have locally. I though about buying some small brass or copper plates and etching names in them and putting them on the outside of the casting. We'll make another 5 today. More experimenting to be done.

I like the EcoRescue idea. We need to promote that concept. More ideas to follow.

Last edited:
Reef Dome Factory and Crew

Another day of reef dome making........
The crushed hollow block bits worked well in yesterdays batch. We now have 22 reef domes. We'll take a break tomorrow (Sunday ya know) and continue with another 5 on Monday.
The picture shows the crew (minus me....behind the camera) and our collection. We are working on the the "personalized" part of the project still. This is really easy to do!

the reef dome crew.jpg

Marking Day

We couldn't help ourselves today.....we worked on our reef domes

koya.jpg

group picture.jpg

pei.jpg.

We personaliized some of the more cured reef domes today. Tell me what you think. :confused: We used red marine grade paint. The stuff is really thick and is supposed to not contain harmful chemicals (not sure about that one). Here are the photos.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom