Panay Explorers Reef Dome Project

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Great job guys. This is why we put pictures on Scuba Board. We want divers and other concerned people to see that it is possible to do a project like this. We found that stacks of domes attract more fish faster. A base of 3 domes that 1 stacked on top in the middle.

Last edited:
View attachment 53058

View attachment 53059

View attachment 53060

View attachment 53061

View attachment 53062

We used large bamboo (4") for the hole forms. used medium size wash tubs for the base form, used mazzola oil drums for the inside form, mazzola oil to coat the forms, 1 bag of cement (1 to 4 mix) for 5 molds, wire inserted the cement, and about 1 hours worth of work for 5 molds. It is really pretty easy to do. We will put them in the water after about 10 days of curing. :D

Initial cost (5 reef domes):
wash tubs - 800 pesos
used drums - 500 pesos
bamboo - 20 pesos
cooking oil - 10 pesos
1 bag cement - 208 pesos
labor/transportation - 300 pesos

After production starts (5 reef domes):
labor/transportation - 300 pesos
cooking oil - 20 pesos
1 bag of cement - 208 pesos

So, all in all....pretty cheap to give back to the environment. I figure we'll make a couple hundred for starters.
how much per dome, babyD?

Once you buy the molds you can make these for about 150-200 pesos each......... once you buy the molds. Keep in mind that these are smaller than the original design. Our intent was to be able to put several on the boat and have divers place them with relative ease. After talking to our employees, they want to go bigger later on. I just need to figure out how to move them and get them in place. It is a cheap investment in the environment that reaps huge rewards for everyone! We will make 5 more tomorrow once these come out of the molds. We are having a great time doing it too. I forgot to mention the beer that goes along with the effort.....who cares though? it is fun!

Great job guys. This is why we put pictures on Scuba Board. We want divers and other concerned people to see that it is possible to do a project like this. We found that stacks of domes attract more fish faster. A base of 3 domes that 1 stacked on top in the middle.

Okay, I understand. We will give it a try. I'll figure out a way to make them fit like LEGOS in the future. Maybe if we notch the edge of one side it might work better when stacking them. Great idea. Thanks for the tip.

I will do it for free....tell me what you want written on it (be nice). How about that?

At P200 I'll have one with my web address on...nothing like free advertising :-D

BDO work for you BabyD?

No, I will not take your money! Really. You guys just pay for another one when you come visit. It is a done deal brother! "KOYA" it is. I will find a good marker at the market tomorrow and I'll mark one of the ones that come out tomorrow. Matt, you want a Triton one?
Just PM me. I have got to go to bed....I am beat.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom