Panasonic ZS3 or Canon SX20IS? (P&S with HD Video)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aggie Diver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Think I've narrowed it down to these two. Canon with the Ike housing, Panny with the 10bar housing.

Anyone have any deep thoughts (or shallow) on these two?

I realize the Panny doesn't have the full manual controls, but does have the ability to control shutter speed... good enough for me...

I've owned the ZS3 (TZ7 here) for a couple of months and all I can say is good things about it. IT shoots incredible video for a compact. Get it on a tripod or monopod and you won't believe the images were taken with P&S camera.

I'm leaving tomorrow for Maldives and a friend is taking it U/W and will shoot some video (I'd like to try mine, but I'm taking my heavy gear). I'll let y ou know how it went when I get back.

i have zs3 and it takes great pics and vids. just like you i was choosing between this and the sx20. the optically zoomable hd video and price point of the zs3 won me over in the end.
the only drawbacks of the zs3 are a lack of aperture control and a relativley small 3.3 aperture size. it seems to have everything else though.
compared to a canon id say the canon is sharper but the panny produces moer vivid colors.
also its so easy to use underwater as the u/w mode actually works.
its iA is also great at sensing what you want to do for both video and still shots.
but the best part is optical zoom.
heres my first ever vid with this camera hybrid:

Back
Top Bottom