Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like Coral Cay Cabins (the view is amazing), but be advised the water taxis are charging at least $20 each way for pick up and drop off from Coral Cay. That can be expensive if you want to come into town to go diving, go to the restaurants, and experience the Bocas night life. The chitre´s (biting no see ums) are definitely an issue at some of the more remote accomodations.

I don't remember what we paid, but Coral Cay was not cheap. I only wanted to be in the water or hang out in a hammock, so going into town for the nightlife was not an issue. I spent my evenings in the water with the owners' kids looking for lobsters and other night critters. The water under the cabin was around 3' deep and I spent hours just snorkeling.
I loved Panama City and tried for a couple of years to get an expat position there with my company, but it never happened. It's one of the few places where the American dollar is the national currency, and the locals actually like Americans.

thank you for the info. our 1st choice really wasa to get to bocas del toro but want to keep costs kind of down as the $160 return ticket might be a little too much and the bus journey seems way too long. we are travelling from london UK to panama city and want to stay there a few nights and then find an island to dive, swim and relax.
so far pearl islands and portobelllo seem more accessible but still need to find a low cost place to crash. there seems to be very limited places to stay.

would love to hear from people on how to find good low cost hotels in any reachable island from panama city. also any better ways to reach boca and most important how is the weather now

Check out (Google) Panama Diving Adventures in Panama City. They dive Portobello on the weekends and the last I heard they provide transportation from PC. Ask for Raul, he is one of the managers there and he is very professional. I don't know your budget for hotels in PC, but my wife and I stay at the Las Vegas and it is in a nice section of town (Cangrejo) and is reasonably priced (last time there I think we paid $70/night). there are plenty of hotels in the $45/night range, but they are just OK.

The Country Inn has a nice view of the water if you are on the right side of the hotel, but it's not close to downtown.
Also, beware of the taxis. Some of them have a scheme going with the hotel receptionists who call them for you. Ask what the rate should be ahead of time. Once you find a safe, honest taxi driver (good luck with that), ask him for a business card and ask for him when you need a taxi.
I have had several extended business trips to Panama City and learned this the hard way.

Check out (Google) Panama Diving Adventures in Panama City. They dive Portobello on the weekends and the last I heard they provide transportation from PC. Ask for Raul, he is one of the managers there and he is very professional. I don't know your budget for hotels in PC, but my wife and I stay at the Las Vegas and it is in a nice section of town (Cangrejo) and is reasonably priced (last time there I think we paid $70/night). there are plenty of hotels in the $45/night range, but they are just OK.

thanks for the info dude. i was really hoping to get more info about hotels in one of the islands. i have a rough idea on PC itself.

thanks for the info dude. i was really hoping to get more info about hotels in one of the islands. i have a rough idea on PC itself.

I recommend Portobelo (one l) and Scubapanama. The have cabins and rooms just outside of Portobelo. The most expensive is a two-story, two bedroom cabin for $65 a night. I don't remember the price on the single story cabins or the rooms, but you can contact them via their website: DIVE PANAMA WITH SCUBA PANAMA; oldest diving operator in Panama.

Thanks gb! I will be sure to post my about Panama after I go.

Is there a good time to go to both the Carribean side and the pacific side for diving? Where is better in June, July?

Also I snorkeled in the San blas islands and it was fantastic, I expect the diving is phenomenal. Has anyone tried the pacific side?
cheers
Yaz :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom