Panama

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

howertonz

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hello, I am planning on going to Panama. I am considering Isla de las Perlas, Isla Grande and Bocas del Toro. I would greatly appreciate any information. Thanks so much!

For info on Bocas, read the review "Back to Bocas" in this forum. http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/central-america/323572-back-bocas.html

It's been a few years since I last dove Isla Grande. At that time, there was a very small, one person dive operation there run by Andres Hernandez. The diving was nice, but seeing his old gear and the tired air compressor was a bit unnerving.

For the last three years, my wife and I have been diving with ScubaPanama in Portobelo. It's much closer and easier to get to than Isla Grande and the equipment and facilities are much better. Plus, the cottages are well worth the money. Next door to ScubaPanama is one of my favorite restaurants in Panama, Los Cañones.

The diving at Portobelo is usually very nice for Panama. Viz around 30 to 60 ft, lots of smaller fish, eels and coral. The best night dive of my experience was here. On another dive off Drake Island I was approached and followed for minutes by two French Angelfish. Elsewhere, I've always found them to be shy of humans.

When you're not diving at Portobelo, there is a lot to see, if you like history. At one time, one-third of the world's wealth came through the customs house at Portobelo. This was where all the Inca gold and silver were loaded onto galleons for the trip to Spain. You can walk through the customs house, today. (It's a museum, now.) In the three 17th century forts that guarded the harbor, the cannons still lay at the gunports, their carriages have long since rotted away. Portobelo was sacked by the pirate Henry Morgan in the late 1600s. Somewhere in the water near Drake Island is where Sir Francis Drake was buried at sea. This also the home of the Black Christ, and every October this is the site of a nationwide pilgrimage and religious festival.

The downside of Portobelo is the nightlife. There is none. Zip, nada. The local restaurants close by 8:00 pm. But, sipping a beer in the bohio over the water at ScubaPanama is a nice way to spend the evening. Muy tranquilo, as they say.

As for Las Perlas, I don't have personal dive experience there, but a couple of my Panamanian friends have dove it regularly in the past. They tell me there is more current (which can be quite strong), little to no coral, but more big fish, like tuna, barracuda and sharks.

Wherever you go, buen viaje.

Grant's review of diving in Bocas del Toro is very accurate and very balaced. It is also a great read. If you would like to see a quick video of some of the diving in Bocas, check out: YouTube - Bocas Water Sports Slideshow

Another useful site is BOCAS DEL TORO - Tourism in the Panama Caribbean region

If you have any specific questions on Bocas del Toro, either diving or hotels, restaurants, topside activities, transportation to/from, etc. you can PM me.

Thanks so much for all the info. I base my trips on the history, culture and nature of a destination. Not to much into night life, so this sounds perfect for me.

Then, wherever you go -- whether Bocas or Portobelo -- I'm sure you will enjoy it. I'm looking forward to reading your impressions when you get back. Salud.

hello everyone
new here and just about to go on my first diving trip and also going to panama in about 10 days time. looking to go to the pearl island ( 1st choice) Boca ( seems far but 2nd choice) and portbello.
which one would be the most recommended and i would love to hear from people who have been to all the good spots in panama and if you can recommend another other spots would be much appreciated.

hello everyone
new here and just about to go on my first diving trip and also going to panama in about 10 days time. looking to go to the pearl island ( 1st choice) Boca ( seems far but 2nd choice) and portbello.
which one would be the most recommended and i would love to hear from people who have been to all the good spots in panama and if you can recommend another other spots would be much appreciated.

Welcome to Scubaboard. Because I own a diveshop in Bocas del Toro, I am somewhat biased, so take the advice of other divers. If you do decide to come to Bocas, check out BOCAS DEL TORO - Tourism in the Panama Caribbean region for information on accommodations, restaurants, activities, etc. If you have any specific questions about Bocas, send me a personal message on Scubaboard.

If you want to watch a brief video about diving in Bocas, check out YouTube - Bocas Water Sports Slideshow

I was in Panama City working a few years ago and spent a long weekend in Bocas Del Toro. When I get away I like peace and quiet. I stayed at Coral Cay cabins, BOCAS DEL TORO: Coral Cay cabins. It's a short boat ride from town. I loved it there. There were no phone and no electricity, but we didn't need it. They had hot, fresh water showers and the couple that owns the place cooked for us. When I wasn't diving I was trying my hand at catching lobsters that were under the coral by our cabin. Short story....lobsters won.
The only downside was that there was some kind of biting nats. They didn't bother me, but the loved my boyfriend and he looked like he had the chickpox by the time we left, so make sure you take bug repellent.

thank you for the info. our 1st choice really wasa to get to bocas del toro but want to keep costs kind of down as the $160 return ticket might be a little too much and the bus journey seems way too long. we are travelling from london UK to panama city and want to stay there a few nights and then find an island to dive, swim and relax.
so far pearl islands and portobelllo seem more accessible but still need to find a low cost place to crash. there seems to be very limited places to stay.

would love to hear from people on how to find good low cost hotels in any reachable island from panama city. also any better ways to reach boca and most important how is the weather now

I was in Panama City working a few years ago and spent a long weekend in Bocas Del Toro. When I get away I like peace and quiet. I stayed at Coral Cay cabins, BOCAS DEL TORO: Coral Cay cabins. It's a short boat ride from town. I loved it there. There were no phone and no electricity, but we didn't need it. They had hot, fresh water showers and the couple that owns the place cooked for us. When I wasn't diving I was trying my hand at catching lobsters that were under the coral by our cabin. Short story....lobsters won.
The only downside was that there was some kind of biting nats. They didn't bother me, but the loved my boyfriend and he looked like he had the chickpox by the time we left, so make sure you take bug repellent.

I like Coral Cay Cabins (the view is amazing), but be advised the water taxis are charging at least $20 each way for pick up and drop off from Coral Cay. That can be expensive if you want to come into town to go diving, go to the restaurants, and experience the Bocas night life. The chitre´s (biting no see ums) are definitely an issue at some of the more remote accomodations.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom