Panama Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi, 'm heading to Panama this January and I would love recommendations on where to go. I'm definitely going to Coiba but beyond that I'm not sure where else to go-- San Blas? Las Perlas? Bocas? Portobello? Any recommendations?
Also, any guide recommendations would be appreciated. Thank you!

Diving? If so, Contradora is a neat little island worthy of diving and staying for a few days.

Contradora Island - Panama City Forum - TripAdvisor

Its actually the very first "survivor" local that was aired.

Panama City impressed me! The building architect downtown is neat...the corkscrew building stands out! The Canal was worth the trip...we hired a driver for the day and hit the East coast then the canal...cheap. We were there as the second canal was being completed....great food and nice people...enjoy!

The problem with Panama is actually getting someone to respond to your inquiries. It's a weird cultural thing there. I've tried to dive Isla Contadora, but they cancelled on me once and never responded a second time. I've had similar experiences other places. The one place that is super responsive, however is Golden Frog Scuba in Portobelo. The owner Rey is very responsive and will dive with you on every dive. At the end of the dive, you shoot a bag and the boat comes to pick you up. Super simple. He runs his shop out of a little hotel/restaurant. It makes it super convenient to spend a couple of days diving and checking out the Caribbean coast. I've been working and diving in Panama for years. Feel free to PM me with any specific questions.

Whoops, just realized this was posted in the freediving forum. Golden Frog Scuba can handle that too. We took my nieces down last summer and Rey hooked them for snorkeling since they don't dive. If you just want to snorkel, there are some cool things to see from the beaches on Isla Contadora and you won't be limited by not having a boat.

Back
Top Bottom