Panama City Trip Report - 7/29/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jviehe

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Saturday, I had to take a class to the Panama City Jetties for some checkouts, and had also set up a club trip there, so 10 or so people would also be coming for diving. We got there at about 9:30 EST, got everything set up, then headed to the beach side. It was myself, a DM student and 5 OW students. Once at the water, visibility looked great, and tide would be coming in till about 12:30. I breifed on compass skills, had them do some surface stuff, then headed in along the rocks. We did some mask and hovering skills, and continued farther on. We had some issues with current, but otherwise had a good dive, and I finished up with some CESAs.

For the second dive, we headed over to the channel side around 12:30 and tide had slacked off. Visibility was blue and about 40ft. I heard even better vis towards the point. I finsished off the skills with the students, and we had a leisurly dive up and down the channel side of the jetties.

Sunday, a few of us in the Tallahassee Scuba Club headed out to Panama City for a couple of offshore dives. We booked with Dive Locker, and went out on the Sea Hunter with Capt Logan. This is a six pack boat, so he trailers it and launches from St Andrews. We loaded everything at the shop, followed him to the park, where he put in and we got on. Heading out, seas were super calm, and we went first to the Strength, and minesweeper that had been sunk for demo practice. Oddly enough, the divemaster said, "I know some guy from scubaboard who is in the scubaclub, with an odd last name j-v-i or something". I said, "that would be me", at which point she identified herself as our very own Darcy! She was a great DM!

Anyway, we headed down to find 60ft vis on the surface, which dropped to about 30ft on the bottom. That was when you could see through the baitfish! We did a nice dive, 35mins, max depth of 73ft. Saw the usual Gulf Fish, and a new one for me was seeing the schools of catfish off in the distance, that would never come close to you.

Dive 2, we went to bridgespan 1, which is one of my favorites at it is more torn up. My buddies decided to spear some flounder, and we otherwise just swam around looking at all the life. Vis was about 30ft again, bottom temp about 75f, and 80 on the surface. After 40mins and 2 flounder we headed out back to the dock. But that wasnt the end! Capt Logan gave us a special treat by taking us to where the Dolphins usually hang out and they cam right up to us all but being able to touch them!

So, we had a great time with Dive Locker and Sea Hunter and Capt Logan and Darcy. I should have some pics later.

Great report I'm gonna be there this weekend.

Great report

Capt Logan is a cool dude, seems to know the area well. Darcy's getting spoiled deckhanding the boat, I can't get her to join us for any beach dives now :)

great report. I'm looking forward to my dive comming up next month there.

Jeremy

Tom Smedley:
Great report I'm gonna be there this weekend.

Hey Tom, I haven't met you, but I'll be down from NC with my family on Sat, and diving with you guys Sun. I'm looking forward to my 1st PC diving, and meeting some of you guys.

Danny Scroggs

We're looking forward to meeting you. I will be on an eleven thirty boat and hope that we're on the same one. The vis this year has been the best in a long time. The weather report so far calls for 1 to 2 foot seas and the water temperature is in the 80s. I can't wait!

OCDinNC:
Hey Tom, I haven't met you, but I'll be down from NC with my family on Sat, and diving with you guys Sun. I'm looking forward to my 1st PC diving, and meeting some of you guys.

Danny Scroggs

I am interested in diving St. Andrew's Jetties later this month. Who can give me a estimate for the best time frame in relation to the high (slack) tide? Does experience give anyone an average or ideal window?

Thanks
Bruce

brubee:
I am interested in diving St. Andrew's Jetties later this month. Who can give me a estimate for the best time frame in relation to the high (slack) tide? Does experience give anyone an average or ideal window?

Thanks
Bruce
Best thing would be to check out the tide tables on various webpages. I use the NOAA website. http://tidesandcurrents.noaa.gov/tides06/

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom