Panama City - July 15/16

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
This past weekend was one of the most enjoyable that I can remember. You notice that I said one of the most enjoyable because I have known some wonderful times in Panama City. We scheduled an eight-hour trip on Saturday and a six-hour trip on Sunday. The weather was fully cooperative and the visibility wonderful. Water temperatures down to 100 feet are in the 80s and the marine life, hams that they are, really put on a show.

Saturday we were on the Captain Scuba II with Choppy driving and Rambo decking. A more wonderful and accommodating crew could never be found.

First dive was on Bridge Span 13. One of the original Hathaway Bridge sections, this one is way out there. She lies in 103 feet of water and is far enough out that visibility is not affected by events of the shoreline. We saw great schools of baitfish and the larger ones that were after a meal. The highlight of this trip was the entangled turtle that Jerry set free. Gosh it was hard to come up but all good dives must end. At the safety stop we saw plankton with little wings that buzzed around like houseflies.

We moved a short distance to the Chippewa. She was a 205 foot ocean going tug that was commissioned in 1943 and decommissioned in 1947. She carried a crew of 85 and her diesel-electric power plant produced 3600 horsepower. She was placed as a part of the artificial reef project in 1990. She has since become home to all the magnificent creatures that inhabit wrecks in the Gulf. We found the mast and crows nest lying off to the side and marveled at her great condition. She lies at about a 30 degree tilt to the port side. Another fantastic dive.

Third dive Saturday was the PCMI barge. Several hurricanes have moved the concrete rubble from atop her. She still sports a great variety of fishes and bottom dwellers. About 10 feet of relief with large holes allows stuff to hide but still gives the diver a great view of her innards through the filtering sunlight.

Sunday Morning we met Shannon and his family for breakfast at Bayou Joes. For those of you who have not had the honor, this is the best there is in the way of starting your day. For those who have been there you know what I mean.

Sunday we climbed aboard the Reef Runner with Shannon driving and Paul as his partner. Paul was all bubbly because his bride comes home from the war this Sunday.

We visited the Accokeek first. There was that phenomenon that left the bottom ten feet with zero visibility but the deck up sported about 60 feet. We looked around at all there was to see. An octopus, large schools of big fish, a Deer Cowry, and stuff like that. The bait fish were thick and the dive just one of those that you never want to end. A huge Remora waited to harass us at the safety stop.

Because of the bottom silt, we opted for a close in site for the second dive and chose the Black Bart. No matter how many times I come to the Bart I see something different and amazing. One great find was a sassy old Mantis Shrimp. The skeleton is still there although he is much shorter now. Someone has hung a stereo from the ceiling for his listening pleasure.

I looked at my pictures last night and decided that God made hermit crabs and blennies to make us smile.

Cool...
'We're are headed to Panama City in a few weeks.
August 10-15 to be exact.
I've been looking forward to some of the dives you mentioned.
It sounds like a real treat ! :D

Timeliner:
Cool...
'We're are headed to Panama City in a few weeks.
August 10-15 to be exact.
I've been looking forward to some of the dives you mentioned.
It sounds like a real treat ! :D

I am heading down to PCB with my family for the yearly family vacation soon. (Aug 5-12.) I as the only diver fanatic in the bunch, will of course have to get in at least one day of diving. I have my fun on lots of dive trips without them, so although, were it my preference, I would dive every day while there, I guess I should limit it while we're doing family time. So 1 or maybe 2 days...

I have not dived the Gulf before, so I am at a little of a loss as to what op/what sites to go for. I actually have watched the evoltion of the whole Oriskany thing with bated breath, and keep wondering if it might be semi=practical for me to drive down to Pensacola while in PC, to dive that great wonder one time. How long does it take to get to Pensacola from PCB?

Anyone have recommendations on must-dive sites off PC? Charters? My available dive days would be Aug 6-11.

Thanks, guys.

Tom Smedley:
I looked at my pictures last night and decided that God made hermit crabs and blennies to make us smile.

Can we look at the pictures too?

It's about a hundred miles from PC to Pensacola. The boats to the O leave early so you would probably have to spend the night in PCola. You also need to make reservations now as the boats are packed.

I will be in Panama City on August 5th and 6th. We will be diving with Panama City Dive Shop. You are welcome to open boat with us. Rick Murchison will probably be there too. We are the Adventure Sports II group.

All dives are good, the really great ones in PC are on six and eight hour trips. You can also take your family to the State park and dive the jetties when the tide is right.

All the sites in PC are at their prime with the huge schools of bait fish and resultant big guys that come in to eat them.

If you want to be assured of a boat trip hit the weekend. During the week they require a minimum number of divers and invaribly someone will back out on you at the last minute and cancel the trip.

Great report Tom, I've still yet to dive offshore of PC. Travesty, no?

I will be in Panama City on August 5th and 6th. We will be diving with Panama City Dive Shop. You are welcome to open boat with us. Rick Murchison will probably be there too. We are the Adventure Sports II group.

Tom,
Thanks for the info and the invite. I talked to PCDC and reserved a spot on the Aug 6 trip (afternoon). The Aug 5 probably won't work for me, unless we get into town a few hours earlier than expected that day. I look forward to meeting you guys, and to diving the area.

I'll probably pick up another gig or two throughout the rest of the week when I'm there. Can't be that close to water and not get wet!

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom