Panama City in Febuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dee, your in Texas, Phil is in Alabama, so how did you meet Phil? Small world isn't it? Phil turned out to be a life saver for me. His shop was just what I was looking for and I'm sure I'll be making alot of trips through him and the shop in the future. You're correct about his customer service. I found him very friendly, knowledgeable, courteous, aiming to please, and with fair/negotiable prices to boot. I was almost proud for him to relieve me of all that money. Notice I said almost. He repeatedly asked me during the trip how I liked the gear and if I wasn't happy with any of it he'd exchange it for something different. That won't be necessary since I'm extremely happy with what I have. And yeah, I fell for that trick on the fins, but I waited till after he'd had a few before negotiateing the price! Amazing what a beer or 2 will do.

Nice report ! I wish that all reports were as unbiased as that!

Did you get the weight down immediately? you had done those experiments at home hadn't you - they showed you needing about 30Lbs or so didn't they?

Glad you liked the Apeks reg. Used them for the last 6 years or so, and never had a problem with them. Purfect.

Jon T

My bathtub/drum experiments turned out to be very close. I had determined that I would need 19 to 20lbs to compensate for the 2 suits and hood. I ended up adding 18lbs to give me a total of 32lbs. Hopefully after I dive those suits a few more times, I can drop some of that.

I originally 'met' Phil in 1999 on Diverlink. We had our first Diverlink Group trip planned for the Florida Keys. Beast and I were driving and Phil offered to set up a few dives in Panama City on our way down. We met him then and spent a great couple of days diving with him, (and trying out scooters, spear guns and anything else he brought along!), getting to know him and hearing about his plans to open a dive shop. I was really pleased when he finally opened Dive Sports. We've kept in contact and speak on the phone at least once a week. We now send him all our gear for servicing and anytime I need something, I'll pick his brain first!

Ahhh, the World Wide Web, should have known. That is also where I first met Phil. I was quizing about the price on a Cobra and he told me to call him. After doing so, I found out that he was also a dealer for just about everything else I was looking for, so he ended up being very convenient and within a couple hours drive of me.

Just let me know if you get a chance to go on one of his trips and try my best to go as well. I'm most likely going to take the Rescue class through him sometime this spring, and I plan on taking one of his trips to the Empire Mica, in Panama City, this year as well.

I asked Beast about his...by the way his is a Vyper not a Cobra, but as far as he knows they are the same in operations.

He said yes, you could not go back to air mode from Nitrox mode. He's never had to change plans so the 48 hour restriction hasn't been tested.

Sorry if I confused things! That'll teach me to only speak of what I know...hehe

I didn't have it completely right myself. It's 24 hours vs 48 hours. The sad thing is that I knew this before ever making the first dive! I hadn't planned on diving Nitrox, so I just left it in air mode. But we ended up with an extra nitrox tank on Sunday, so I used it. Learned my lesson.

I'm trying to arrange a two week class at Panama City in June if I can get the army to let me do it. It's a hyperbaric medicine class. Anyway, hubbie plans to come and we want to do as much diving as possible. Tell me where to go and who to dive with!

I personally like Hydrospace - like the staff, the crews... the boats *are* cattle boats, but the sites are big enough to not be crowded unless you get two or three big boats on one (and that sometimes does happen).
Headed down April 28th-29th.
Probably taking my dry suit, as I do *not* intend to get cold.
Rick

I like Hydrospace and the two times I've been out with them, it wasn't *cattle* boat conditions by any means. But one time we chartered the whole boat for ourselves and the other, this Feburary, all *seasonal* divers were at home staying warm, so. I here they do get crowded at times.

As for sites, they say the Empire Mica is a must do. I haven't dove it yet, but plan to sometime this year. The new wreck called Akokee, is pretty good as well. And there is always Black Bart and the other inshore sites.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom