Panama City in Febuary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Warhammer

Reaction score
:cold:. I just returned from a weekend of diving in Panama City, FL. We had a great trip. The water was a chilly 59 degrees, seas were at 2 to 3 feet on Saturday and calm on Sunday. The vis averaged 75' and was over 100' on one of the offshore sites. That's awesome visibilty for PC! Had 4 great dives on Fountain Blue, Black Bart, Akokee, and the USS Strength, with the dive on the Akokee being the best one. I saw thousands of baitfish in the holds on the ships, alot of Amber Jack and Grouper, of which the spearfisherman took a few. I also saw a few lobsters, an Octopus, and 3 Dolphins. Ahhhh, it felt great to be back in the deep after 4 months of drydock.

My new gear performed flawlessly and my LiquidFit 3mm Platinum suits kept me toasty. Those are some amazing suits. I was equally pleased with my Apeks TX50 reg, it breathed effortlessly and remained dry no matter how I turned. I was expecting it to breath wet when upside down, but it did not. My only complaint is with the Cobra. I had not planned on diving Nitrox, but ended up diving it on Sunday. Since the Cobra was set for air on the Saturday dives, I couldn't switch it to nitrox. Not really a problem if you plan ahead and leave it nitrox mode all the time, though.

<<My only complaint is with the Cobra. I had not planned on diving Nitrox, but ended up diving it on Sunday. Since the Cobra was set for air on the Saturday dives, I couldn't switch it to nitrox. Not really a problem if you plan ahead and leave it nitrox mode all the time, though.>>

Beast uses a Cobra and he hasn't had a problem switching it from air to Nitrox and back, all in one day, no matter what setting he started out with. Ex. Boat dives on Nitrox, first on 32%, second on 36%. Early afternoon no nitrox available so shore dive is done on air. Night dive done on air. Next day, all dives done on either 32% or 36%. No problems with computer settings.

Is this what you meant?

Then he must have had it set on Nitrox mode the whole time, and simply set it to 21% when diving air. Cause it will not allow you to change modes for 48 hours. If it's set in Nitrox mode from the beginning, then you can adjust the mix to anything between 21%-50%, but you can't go from air mode to Nitrox mode. Not a problem as long as you leave it in Nitrox mode, which I didn't.

Warhammer,
Thanks for the dive report. I always enjoy reading them while I'm in "drydock". Sounds like you had a great time. Dolphins and a octopus would make me really happy about now.
35 more days and I'll be in Bonaire. Yippee!
:sunny:

here's the full scoop if any of you want to read it:

After having just purchased a new set of gear from Dive Sports in Decatur, AL, where I BTW got a great deal, I was itching to get wet and try out the gear. Phil, owner of Dive Sports, mentioned that he had a group going to Panama City, FL for 2 days of diving on February 10th and 11th. I was a little reluctant due to the water temp, but decided to go for it anyway. I wouldn’t be disappointed. I watched the weather like a hawk all week and the prediction changed almost every day. The latest forecast was for 4 to 6 foot seas on Saturday and cloudy, 2 to 3 on Sunday and sunny, with a water temp of 59 degrees. So the diving was questionable for our planned offshore trip to Stage 1 on Saturday.

I had yet to get my new gear, which consists of an Apeks TX50/TX40 octo, Zeagle Ranger, a Liquid Fit 3mm Platinum full/shorty combo with 6mm hood and a Cobra computer, wet. So the wife and I headed out on the 7 1/2 hour drive Friday morning in hopes of getting to Panama City in time for me to make a test dive our hotel pool. We arrived in Panama City around 3:30 and stopped by Hydrospace Dive Center to rent a tank and some weights for my pool dive. I got my weight down pat and checked out all the new gear and we then headed for the Mariner to chow down on some fresh seafood. The food was great, the crowd small. They have a seafood buffet that was reduced in price, I guess due to the off-season, and was exceptional. BTW, the drinks were half price as well!! So after getting our bellies full, we headed back to our room and turned in for the night.

We were scheduled to go out with Hydrospace at 11:00 for a 6-hour offshore trip Saturday morning. I got to Hydrospace around 10:15 and the rest of our group got there a few minutes later. Our group consisted of Phil Ellis, his son Brad, another Brad from Birmingham, Josh, Chad and myself. Josh’s wife also tagged along for the ride but didn’t dive. Phil had also brought me a “new” set of Atomic Splitfins to try out and some new soft weights. He promised that he was providing the fins, and weights for that matter, with no strings attached. But warned that I shouldn’t dive the Atomics unless I was prepared to buy them, he claimed they were a must have. He would be correct. We were going out on the Reef Diver and our captain was Shannon Brown and the first mate was Barry.

Now for the diving. Due to high seas offshore we decided to dive Fountain Blue instead of our planned Stage 1. Fountain Blue is one of the spans of the old Hathaway Bridge and lies in 75-80fsw. Chad and I were the only nuts diving wet, or so we thought, so we buddied. We arrived at the site and the seas weren’t too bad at 1 to 2 ft. Barry, the first mate, went down and tied off on the bridge span. He came back reporting a slight surface current, 60 to 75 foot vis, and a 59-degree water temp. He had undoubtedly bumped his head on something the night before cause he was diving in a shorty! He was purple and blue when he boarded the boat, poor sole. LOL!! We hit the water and it was quite a shock. But I remained comfortably warm throughout the dive in my 3mm Liquid Fits. Never once did I feel any cold water inside the suits. I had a lot of trouble with my mask flooding on this dive, so I didn’t really see much of the site. I guess the hood was interfering in some way or something cause I had to clear it every few breaths. I also couldn’t get the feel of my new gear due to this. So I just followed Chad and we saw few freshly shed lobster molts, a lot of baitfish, a grouper and several Amber Jacks. As well as other fish that I’ve yet to place a name on, gotta study up on that. The profile was 77ft for 32 minutes with an average depth of 60’.

We decided that since the vis was so good we should checkout the Black Bart for our second dive. Everyone, except Chad and I, was spear fishing, so the Bart was a promising site for that. We tied up on the Bart and we were again all by ourselves on the wreck. The seas were at again around 2ft here. The vis on the Bart wasn’t as good as our last site, but it was still around 60’. The last time I dove this wreck the vis was more like 25’, so for the first time I could actually see the wreck, as it should be. Chad and I noticed a rather large Amber Jack that was held up in the wheelhouse of the wreck. Don’t know how the other guys missed him, since we were tied up on the wheelhouse. Since Chad and I were the last down this time, the other guys had moved off and were exploring the wreck, so it looked as if this Amber Jack would live another day. Chad and I moved off and I almost immediately found a small Octopus inside one of the little holes on top of the deck. We observed him for a while and moved on. Chad collected a few vacant shells and I picked up a fish lure. We again saw large quantities of baitfish and several smaller Amber Jack, and some more of those unidentified fishes. I switched back to my old mask on this dive and remedied the flood problems as a result. I also spent part of the dive checking out those Atomics. They are nice. Fining is almost effortless and you can really move if you want. I was also delightfully surprised that the Apeks TX50 breathed dry in any position I cared put it in. So I spent a good part of the dive upside down and turtle, enjoying the dry air. It also breathes extremely well, and excellent reg. Air was getting short so Chad and I headed back toward the wheelhouse and anchor line. Upon reaching the wheelhouse we saw that the large Amber Jack was still there. Brad and Josh were also approaching with Brad having 1 Amber Jack on his stringer. We got their attention and pointed out the large Amber Jack in the wheelhouse. Brad decided to let Josh take him since he already had 1. So here comes Josh to one of the side windows trying to get a shot. When he’d move the Amber Jack would move. It was hilarious watching him and the AJ move back and forth. He got so close to the AJ that he could almost have touched him with the spear gun, but he never took the shot. Finally the AJ decided it was time to leave the area and he went out the window between us. They didn’t pursue him cause we were all running very low on air and headed up. After getting back on the boat Josh caught hell over letting the AJ get away. The profile was 74fsw for 36 minutes with an average depth of 51fsw and again 59 degrees.

We pulled anchor and headed for shore. After we got all our gear loaded everyone agreed to meet at Montego Bay for dinner at 6:00. After I got back to the room my wife informed me that her plans didn’t include the Montego Bay. She wanted to go to Hamilton’s instead, since we had never been there I agreed. Sorry guys. The food was great here as well and they lived up to their reputation. The Key Lime pie was out of this world.

Sunday greeted us with sunshine and rising air temps. It was to be a beautiful day for diving. After arriving at Hydrospace we were informed by Shannon, our captain again today, that we were being joined by 2 other divers (a man and his wife) today. John, another diver from Phil’s group that couldn’t make it for Saturday’s dive, would also join us today. After asking Shannon if we could do an offshore site today, he told us that if we could talk the 2 additional divers into it, it was fine with him. So Phil, being the sport that he is, offered to pay their additional share for going offshore. They accepted of course and we decided to head for a newer wreck named Akokee (I think that’s how you spell it). It sits upright in about 105fsw. Not sure about the history on it since I didn’t write it down as our first mate, Jeff, was going over it and it’s slipped my mind already. Phil told me to set up on nitrox for this one, so I accepted, excitedly, in anticipation of the extra bottom time on the deeper site. Stupid me had dove the Cobra in air mode the day before so it wouldn’t let me switch to nitrox mode. That’s my only complaint on the Cobra, but that isn’t a problem, if you just keep it in Nitrox mode all the time and set it to 21% when diving air. Oh well, you live and learn. This proved to be the best dive of the trip. We had 100+ vis! That’s right 100+ in Panama City, FL. John buddied with Chad and I for this dive. We had zero problems with the 3-man team and everyone stayed together easily. I did manage to give Chad the slip one time though while circling one of the stacks on the deck. I could tell he was looking for me, so I put the Atomics in overdrive and caught back up to him as he was circling the stack looking for me. The wreck is absolutely loaded with life and is a must do if you’re ever in PC. We again saw numerous Amber Jack, but most of them were small. The other guys did manage to bag a few nice ones though. I also located a nice sized lobster under the ship about midway of the starboard side. He didn’t hang around long though. The holds of this ship were absolutely loaded with small baitfish. Thousands upon thousands of them. We didn’t penetrate it but it is penetrateable. The profile was 101fsw for 30 minutes with the average depth being at 72fsw. I cut it close on NDL on this dive according to the Cobra, due to having to dive it in air mode. I also sounded off the ascent rate indicator as we were ascending. But I did it deliberately just see how fast was too fast for it. I really don’t see it being a problem for me, but it is a tad sensitive.

For our final dive we decided to head to the USS Strength. This would be my first dive on the Strength, I had always wanted to do it, just never had. It’s in 2 pieces with 1 sitting upright and the other lying on it’s side. So the whole ship is opened up for penetration if you dare, I did not. I again buddied with Chad and John for this dive. The visibility wasn’t as good here but it was a respectful 45-50’. That was partly due to our efforts at digging up some shells and such. Chad and John managed to find some nice ones but I didn’t bother bringing any up. This wreck also had a lot of life and we managed to see 3 Dolphins on the surface before descending on it, but they were long gone by the time we got down. Pity, I would have loved to have swam with them in their natural environment. There weren't any sizeable AJs here so the spearfisherman came up empty on this one. I again had some problems with my mask flooding, so I must have had something under the seal again. But it wasn’t as bad as the first dive and as long as it stays out of my eyes it doesn’t bother me and I rarely clear it until it does. The profile here was 79fsw for 34 minutes with an average depth of 55fsw and the water temp was again at 59 degrees.

This was a great weekend in PC and I look forward to my next trip. Hydrospace provided us with an excellent crew in Shannon, Jeff and Barry, and an excellent weekend of diving. I ended up buying the Atomics and the weights from Phil since he was kind enough to offer them to me at great price. Kudos to Phil and Brad of Dive Sports, Decatur, AL for arranging this great trip. If you’re ever in Decatur stop by and see him, he’s one shop owner that appreciates his customers and aims to please. I look forward to my next trip with him and the other divers one this trip. I’d also like to add that my 3mm Liquid Fits kept me quite warm on all the dives and I never once got cold, except for my hands, on any of the dives. I can’t say the same for when I got on the surface though. I got out of the suits after each dive and put on dry clothes to stay warm.

Thanks for the report, Warhammer.. I enjoyed reading it.
If you'll describe your mystery fish perhaps I can help.
Rick

Thanks the offer Rick, but they're all pretty much a mystery to me right now. I've never taken the time to aquaint myself with the different species out there. But I do plan to very soon. What's a good book to start with? There were several I saw that i didn't know what were, the one that comes to mind the most is the one that looked alot like a Scorpianfish, but it's tail fin was split into 2 parts and it was flat(horizontal) instead of vertical. The color was also like a Scorpianfish. I saw several of them and they tended to not be shy and stuck close to the bottom.

Also anyone know of a good website for fish indenification?

The best all 'round fish ID book I've found is Humann's Reef Fish. That's essential. For the northern Gulf, I use that one and Bob Shipp's "Guide to fishes of the Gulf of Mexico" - see:
http://www.flfish.com/fl/Catalog/Books/DrBobShi .htm
------------
As for your mystery fish, there are two likely candidates - both known to hang around the bridge spans and the Bart.. the Gulf Toadfish and the Polkadot Batfish. There are line drawings of both at:
http://www.graysreef.nos.noaa.gov/fishguide/Group2/Group2.html
but they're not very good.
Good luck,
Rick

Thanks Rick...I believe it was indeed the Batfish.

Phil Ellis is a very good friend of mine! So he got you, too, with that old "just try'em, you'll love 'em" fin trick! Yep, I bought a pair too! He sent them to me, no strings attached. He's also got an Apeks T50 with my name on it. Glad to read your evaluation of it. All dive shop owners need to take a lesson about customer support and satisfaction from Phil! I know that whatever question I ask, I'll get a complete and honest answer. And he's an excellent technician, too.

Great report. We were invited on that trip but couldn't swing it. Maybe we'll meet you on one later in the summer. I have fond memories of our last trip to PC...we will return.

Ditto what Rick said about Paul Humann's ID books, they're accurate and easy to use.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom