Panama City Dive Trip

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Panama City is a paradox. A few years ago the dive shops were in full operation and filling boats. There were inexpensive hotels and fun places to go at night. Then the city council decided to make the town into another Destin. The developers scarfed up all the beach front property and good old places like Salty's and Schooners and the Holiday Lodge went the way of the bulldozer. When one can drive to Birmingham or Hartsfield, climb on a charter and spend a weekend in Cozumel cheaper than they can in Panama City then sometime, somewhere, something has to break. The condos are being sold at $350 and when finished appraised at $225. The banks are refusing to cover the excess.

At Diver's Den their vessel Splash has been down for repairs. Casey has been running the Guardian Angel as a six pax but not successfully. Debbi puts folks on PCDC's boats so she can take care of her customers. The boats were poorly maintained in the latter years of Hydrospace. There are few amenities such as fresh water showers and the heads stay out of order more than they work. Mike and Jerry have jumped through hoops to bring them back up to snuff and I guess they are spending first money on operational stuff.

It's funny that they brag on the Panama in their newsletter because it's contracted out to the oil companies. The Island Diver was contracted to the Navy on one of the busiest weekends.

I guess we just have to face it. Our diving paradise for so many years like so much else is rapidly falling victim to low interest rates and resultant over development.

PS - I keep hearing over and over about an employee in PCDC that turns folks off. Knowing the folks there I can't imagine who that is. Mike and Bob are great guys. If there is someone working there who puts a crimp in your style Mike Gomez most probably would like to hear from you. Give the guy a chance...

The condo market in PC and PCB has tanked. We have a client who had a condo and sold it pre-built. The buyer saw that the market was tanking. Turns out the real estate agent left out mandatory disclosure language in the sales contract. The buyer is using that to get out of the contract. Buyer had an easy out for a condo they couldn't flip at a profit.

At least the little mom and pop property owners were able to take their profit and run.

And check this out - http://www.bluedolphinii.com/ Development company's plans for Holmes County. I'm afraid the Panhandle has been discovered and is going to end up looking like south and central Florida. :( Their reference to Reedy Creek Special District is scary.

So what dive shops/charters are still up and running? Is PCDC the only one, I've been thinking about doing a road trip, but not if the service isn't there. Also as a side note how is the water temps and visibility in Feb? Thanks for the info.

Water temps in Feb? As cold as mid-50s off the beach, low 60s at depth more than likely. Vis? Its the gulf, could be 2', could be 200'.

Tom Smedley:
Panama City is a paradox. A few years ago the dive shops were in full operation and filling boats. There were inexpensive hotels and fun places to go at night. Then the city council decided to make the town into another Destin. The developers scarfed up all the beach front property and good old places like Salty's and Schooners and the Holiday Lodge went the way of the bulldozer. When one can drive to Birmingham or Hartsfield, climb on a charter and spend a weekend in Cozumel cheaper than they can in Panama City then sometime, somewhere, something has to break. The condos are being sold at $350 and when finished appraised at $225. The banks are refusing to cover the excess.

At Diver's Den their vessel Splash has been down for repairs. Casey has been running the Guardian Angel as a six pax but not successfully. Debbi puts folks on PCDC's boats so she can take care of her customers. The boats were poorly maintained in the latter years of Hydrospace. There are few amenities such as fresh water showers and the heads stay out of order more than they work. Mike and Jerry have jumped through hoops to bring them back up to snuff and I guess they are spending first money on operational stuff.

It's funny that they brag on the Panama in their newsletter because it's contracted out to the oil companies. The Island Diver was contracted to the Navy on one of the busiest weekends.

I guess we just have to face it. Our diving paradise for so many years like so much else is rapidly falling victim to low interest rates and resultant over development.

The dive shops may have to set up their own bunkhouses like the big ops in North Carolina do. We dove cape Lookout last month with discovery diving. They have two older 3 bedroom houses set up as bunkhouses. Put 12 of us in one house for 6 nights at $15/night. We did 4 & 5 days diving with them at $85/day. It was a great week of diving and the lodging expenses did not break the bank and fulfilled our needs.

AL

Realestate up here is crazy expensive though... I don't think the shops could afford it, they aren't exactly doing financially super regardless.

The owners of a certain oyster house need a vacant lot about 200 ft by 300 ft to enlarge their parking space. They need the extra parking spaces or start losing tables. The price tag is 750,000 dollars.

Tom Smedley:
PS - I keep hearing over and over about an employee in PCDC that turns folks off. Knowing the folks there I can't imagine who that is. Mike and Bob are great guys. If there is someone working there who puts a crimp in your style Mike Gomez most probably would like to hear from you. Give the guy a chance...

I agree. Mike is an awesome guy. Good heart and soul.....

If you have problems He will remedy them. Just talk to him. :D

Tom Smedley:
Panama City is a paradox. A few years ago the dive shops were in full operation and filling boats. There were inexpensive hotels and fun places to go at night. Then the city council decided to make the town into another Destin. .

Boy you hit that one right on the head.

Panama City is tired of the Spring Break crowd where they pack 12 college students into a $85/night hotel room and all they spend money on is Beer and Taco Bell. They are also tired of the "Girls Gone Wild" image they've obtained because it's chasing off the small amount of families that are left to rent condos.

Then you've got Destin down the road which the average family spends over $2k for a condo during peak season and spends tons more cash eating out, at the Destin Commons and Silver Sands, etc.

However, PCB looks like a war zone in some areas. They bulldoze the old beach hotels and the shops across the street go out of business. They then build 20-30 story high rises and put parking decks across the street with air conditioned walk ways over the tops of the streets. It's killing all the "character" of the town.

Fewer people are going to PCB for many reasons. Costs, fuel prices, etc. So fewer trips are being booked on dive boats. Lots of dive boat opportunities are gone.

With diesel fuel way up and charters down, the average charter cost has gone up. But that's expected.

But you're right. When you can go get on a plane and get a trip to Cozumel for cheaper or even close in price, then PCB doesn't look all that hot does it?

sandshaker:
I agree. Mike is an awesome guy. Good heart and soul.....

If you have problems He will remedy them. Just talk to him. :D

Mike's always been nice when I've dealt with him. Some of his employees (now or in the past) have a few "issues" though... (but that's true with any business)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom