Panama City 8/5-6/06

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tom Smedley

Tommy
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Our adventure continued as we traveled leisurely toward Panama City from Destin. We wanted to get there in time to check into the hotel, get tanks filled, and just relax before the afternoon trip. PCDC buzzed with activity and the air conditioning felt good. The day that started out to be a rainy and cool Saturday had quickly turned hot and muggy.

As usual, the confusion of unloading and loading the boats fell into a well organized effort and we were on our way past the rocks. It always feels so good when the boat moves and the breeze starts. Since the cloudy layer is still there at the Accokeek we headed for Two-Tugs.

We had two deep and night diving candidates and a few old salts. The other folks on the boat were from the Decatur shop. We always seem to time our PC weekends with them. Dive Sports and Adventure Sports all looking at the same goal, great dives; and great dives we found. Dennis drove the boat and Holly and Face were the decks. Holly spent most of the time trying to memorize everyone’s name.

We did both dives on the same site. Both were absolutely wonderful. We had about 50 feet visibility on the wreck and about 15 feet on the bottom. The bait fish were so thick that we could hardly see the wreck at times. We saw large schools of spadefish, jacks, grouper, and snapper. The dive was one of those that you just don’t want to end.

The second dive came after dark. We have never seen so many Atlantic Deer Cowries out roaming the wreck. My camera battery died right in the middle so we just spent time looking at stuff. We went out on the sand and kept the strobe in sight as we looked for shells and sand dollars. We reluctantly made our ascent as we turned off our lights and watched sparkles in the water.

Sunday we slept late and started for the boat via Winn Dixie to replenish snacks. With freshly filled tanks we headed out again. This time we chose the USS Strength and Bridge Span 1. The Strength boasted probably 50 feet visibility on top of the wreck with huge schools of all sorts of fishes. We found a bristle worm eating a minnow and a sassy old mantis shrimp. We would probably call the mantis shrimp the mockingbird of the ocean, afraid of nothing and not ashamed to tell you about it. We used snips to free two fish from a discarded net.

Bridge Span One also gave us some great visibility. We went down the roadbed and back along the side. There were several sand dollar skeletons here. We made sure that we came to the top of the span and were able to drift into the anchor line. While there was none on the bottom, current on top of the span was kind of sporty. We saw some white anemone that we haven’t noticed on PC sites before. The baitfish continued their show as we ascended. Another great dive must come to an end along with another great weekend.

We stopped at Boondocks for a Boon Burger and settled in for the long-sleepy drive home. We still dreamed of the weekend looking forward to the next.

Thanks for the report Tom, sounds like a great time. Feel free to post some of them pics you've been taking! :D

Nice report. I can't wait to get there !! :D
We're headed that way today and will spend the week in PC.
I hope it turns out as fun as your trip.

I want to see the pics too! Glad you had a good time - thanks for doing the rain dive with us at Destin.

Yoda - you are the best - I can't thank you enough for the Destin experience. We had a wonderful, relaxing dive and have lots of great memories. I have some outstanding pictures. I am still up in the air about the apparently Toad Fish that have eyebrows. I can't find them in any of the books. I can't decide if they are Toads or Scorpions. The blue crabs eating the fillet detritius are fantastic. Grand detail and colors.

Puffer Fish and Angel Fish - we were honored to have met you and hope to do many dives with you in the future.

Yoda - only you and I know about my surprise at the Vortorberfest

I have a web page with Bellsouth and plan to post some of the pics as soon as I can find the time to shrink and upload them.

Thanks again yall.

Tom - Best I can figure is they are Gulf Toadfish, Opsanus phobetron.

Tom Smedley:
We had two deep and night diving candidates and a few old salts. The other folks on the boat were from the Decatur shop. We always seem to time our PC weekends with them. Dive Sports and Adventure Sports all looking at the same goal, great dives; and great dives we found. Dennis drove the boat and Holly and Face were the decks. Holly spent most of the time trying to memorize everyone’s name.

Tom, maybe we should just start planning our PCB trip together. It seems like everytime the guys come back from PC, they report that they were on the boat with Adventure Sports. Thanks.

Phil Ellis

Tom,
I enjoyed meeting you on the boat on Sunday. My family and I had a great time in PC for the weeki. I went back out with PCDC on Wednesday. We did a really pretty offshore dive, Twin Tugs. Vis was good (at least to start...), and tons of baitfish. Close to the surface the water was beautifullly blue, and coming up for a hang, hundreds of Atllantic Spadefish circled the line. An awesome sight. 2nd dive was PCMI Barge, which was not too great to me; I wanted to stay offshore and go deeper. Half the boat was standing up (literally) in the sand around the barge. Vis went to about 10'. Can't relate to the standing up thing. Always thought we were supposed to stand on land, and hover weightlessly in the water. Hmm. Anyway, I got wet and that's what counts.

Again, nice meeting you. Maybe our paths will cross again. I usually come down to FL once or twice during the winter for an extended dive trip. I really want to go to Pensacola to do the big O, maybe a couple of days. Any interest in going down there, maybe Nov or Dec?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom