Palm Beach/Boynton/Ft. Lauderdale

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
A small group of us have the choice of doing a weekend diving in the Palm Beach/Boynton/Ft. Lauderdale area or going down to the Keys. We have done the Keys a couple of times before. Is the Palm Beach/Boynton/Ft. Lauderdale area a comparable quality of diving?

Is one area within the area we're considering better than others? Any other suggestions?

I dont liek diving the keys much. I think they have been over-dived and many of the reefs are damaged by too many clumsy and careless divers. I mostly quit diving them. I think the Boynton reefs are some of the best ones in the state. I love diving there.

Listen to sharp. I dive S Fla from Davie to Boynton and the Boynton reefs are some of the best, least known and least dived in S. Fla. I was there last Sunday and enjoyed the experience.

If "Keys it is" my favorite site is the Looe Key marine sanctuary. Lots of nice diving around Big Pine Key if your operator knows the area. Just my opinion.

---Bob

Take the trip with the SCUBA Club out of West Palm Beach, Nice drift dives. They also have a great setup and wonderful DMs. If you go tell Scratchy (the turtle) I said Hi. It really stinks being locked up here in KY now after living in WPB for a year.

:klo:

Jupiter or WPB are amazing and full of life, I haven't been to Boynton to dive yet but I hear its awesome. As for the Keys, IMO, its one of those been there, done that, would only do it again if there was a good enough reason.

As a lazy guy that prefers drift diving, Boynton Beach/FL/WPB gets my vote!

Good variety of wrecks in the Ft Lauderdale/Boynton area too.

The 4 boats I've used were "we drop you, we pick you up, what you do in between is your business" as opposed to the babysitting mentality more common in the Keys.

Most dives are 60'-90' range, and pretty much square profile, so nitrox is very useful.

The Keys have more variety in depth, with more shallow sites including tongue and groove reefs. FLL/Boynton/WPB is really just one skinny, miles long reef. Lots to explore, though.

This is some of the best diving in Florida. Check out the link for a list of some of the dive sites in the area. IMO I'd skip the Keys and stay right here.

Local dive sites

I love diving WPB area. "South Breakers" and "Flower Garden" have some beautiful reefs and marine life. I have heard Ft Lauderdale had some great dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom