Palau Drought Conditions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm booked for Palau on Apr 16 but am freaked out that the Govt has declared a state of emergency due to lack of fresh water. Anyone been recently who can relay their experience?

@drbill . . . your opinion is requestec.

I was scheduled to be in Palau for 4-6 weeks, diving and teaching two courses in marine ecology for Palau Dive Adventures. We started following the drought situation there a while back and as it got worse, decided to postpone this scheduled trip. Chris Lubba, co-owner of PDA, is in Palau now. He informed me that the city of Korror has its municipal water system on only one hour per day. There are news reports that Palau may run out of freshwater (from the tap) by the end of the month.

Some businesses have prepared for this, others haven't. The problem could be alleviated by assistance from other countries such as Japan, Taiwan and the US military (Palau has a very close association with the US).

If you are land-based for this trip, this could be a serious impact. If you are diving from a liveaboard with the capability of generating its own freshwater, it may not be as significant a problem. I would check with your operator and any land-based facilities you plan to use on your trip.

For the sake of my friends in Palau (and the rest of its citizens), I hope an interim solution is found and that the El Niño induced drought breaks when the rainy season starts in summer. We here on Catalina are in our fifth year of a record-breaking drought. I had hoped to be able to take a daily shower in Palau, but obviously that won't be happening now!

I'm booked for Palau on Apr 16 but am freaked out that the Govt has declared a state of emergency due to lack of fresh water. Anyone been recently who can relay their experience?
I just - 10 days ago - came back from both Yap & Palau. yes, drought in both. Yes, there are signs up. But I didn't see any panic or indications that they were going to run out of water.

- Ken

Ken, were you on a liveaboard the entire time? Word from friends in Palau is that the hotel I stayed at last year has water only three hours a day, the city water is only on one hour per day and there are news reports that they may run out of water by the end of the month.

Some hotels (PPR I think) have their own water supplies and may not be affected. Some of the smaller ones reportedly are not taking new reservations in April or May.

I was in Palau one month ago and I heard about that but we didn't have any problem. I don't know if the situation is getting worse.

Ken, were you on a liveaboard the entire time?
Most of the time but not all of the time. We over-nighted at the Wrest Plaza By the Sea. No one said boo about water restrictions when we checked in nor did I see anything posted around town other than some signs that basically said "Drought - conserve water".

Obviously the boat (PA2) has a water-maker so water onboard was not an issue. But I also went over to the Dropoff Restaurant a couple of times while we were in port and seemingly no issues there. I'm not saying there's not a problem, just that it doesn't seem as obvious or severe as has been represented to you.

- Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom