Palau diving in Dec - but based on shore?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Ze_Abron

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I need a holiday.

And so I am considering a week in Palau in early December (I am told it is a good time of year). A lot of people seem to do liveaboards but can one be based on land and still enjoy terrific diving?

I need to be on land as I want to dive in the mornings and finish writing a book in the afternoons, I tend to get sea-sick when doing computer-based work on boats.

If yes, anyone got any recommendations for resorts? I don't mind not staying at the most expensive places, but I really want to get high quality diving in. :)

Thx!

Same dives, you'd just be cheating yourself out of the spectacular boat rides through the Rock Islands, hanging out at Sam's after your dives, and shopping at the prison if you did a liveaboard. I've heard nothing but good things about all the big dive operators in Palau. The Sea Passion hotel/Sam's combo is very popular.

Sam's and Sea Passion Combo looks interesting, and just about affordable.

Liveaboards are more dive intensive. Makes no sense to pay for afternoon diving if you want to write instead, although as liveaboards go, Palau's offer some of the most benign waters since they usually anchor in a sheltered spot and send the skiff out to the dive sites.

Another vote for the Sam's /Sea Passion combo. Sam's picks up at the hotel and will have a driver take you back after diving (until you find the shortcut that makes it a 4 minute walk). Sam's will also keep your gear between dives (and they have 100's for air hogs, er, for big breathers). Hotel is nice and they have internet down in the lobby although anywhere on Palau internet is SLOOOOOW, and on cloudy days just don't bother trying.

If you want quiet try staying on Peleliu at Dolphin Bay: Welcome / Dolphin Bay Resort & Peleliu Divers in Palau We will be there in March for our second trip.

+1 for spending a couple days on Peleliu, though you should be aware that the spectacular dives around Peleliu Corner are more advanced than Blue Corner - slightly deeper, stronger currents taking you into open ocean, and the possibility of down currents. All the southern dives sites are within about 10 minutes of south dock. Almost every dive site I did on Peleliu is somewhere in my top 10 list.

If you are willing to go downmarket from Dolphin Bay, I had a good experience with Maml Divers.

Glad to hear someone chime in about Sam's /Sea Passion as I've booked a two week trip for late January. Quite nerve wracking as I'm not one to stay at larger hotels.

If you end up going there, I would love to see a trip report with photos.

Sea Passion is fully booked in Dec already. Trying for 5 days at Rose Garden with Sam's followed by 4 days in Peleliu with Dolphin Bay. Hope they have space!!!

Glad to hear someone chime in about Sam's /Sea Passion as I've booked a two week trip for late January. Quite nerve wracking as I'm not one to stay at larger hotels.

If you end up going there, I would love to see a trip report with photos.

I wouldn't really consider the Sea Passion to be a "larger" hotel - not by stateside standards anyway. You'll never feel a rush; chances are if you eat dinner in the restaurant or stop at the bar after diving you'll have the place to yourself. Rarely have to wait for service at the desk, etc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom