Palau and Yap??? or just stick to Palau?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

viva1

Registered
Reaction score
We're looking into diving in Palau next January, 2013 (10 days there, or 14 days if we don't go to Yap) and someone said that we should go to Yap as well. I'm not sure if it makes sense to do both, but am ready to be convinced.

Since only 2 flights seem to leave from Koror to Yap/week, we either stay in Yap only 2 days or stay about a week. 2 days doesn't sound like enough. Are 6 days there too much? Are there other things to do besides dive there? How is the snorkeling?

Which hotel/dive shop would you go with? Are there dives that don't have a lot of current? Some current dives are OK, but I like non-current dives as well.

So, again, the big question is, do we stay in Palau the whole 14 days, or go to Palau for 10 days and Yap for 6?

Thanks.

We did Yap and Palau last March. On Continental, we got to spend 3 days diving, 4 days total in Yap. Unless you're really into mantas, there is no reason in my opinion to stop at Yap. I would rather stay longer on Palau. We were tired of mantas after two dives. The outside reefs were okay diving, lots of sharks, lots of fish, but nowhere near as good as Palau. The coral formations were pretty spectacular, but better on Palau.

If you do decide to do Yap, we found Yap Pacific Dive Resort (the old Traders Ridge) to be very nice and much better food than Manta Ray Resort. Dive operation was superb and much less crowded than the competition.

I would definitely recommend Yap. The manta experience is fantastic (way better than any manta action you're liable to see in Palau), and the shark dive is a hoot. Yap is waaaaaaaaaaaaaay more laid back than Palau. I never got tired of seeing the mantas, and unlike Palau where you are likely to meet up with 50 or more other divers under water, in Yap chances are excellent it will just be your boat at the dive site (and possibly you'll be the only divers on the boat).

We did eight days in Yap but that was our only destination that trip. Stayed three days at Pathways (awesome but you have to like bugs and lizards) and the remainder at Manta Ray Bay. Manta Ray Bay is the happening place on Yap for diving.

Continental's schedule changes occasionally, usually you can only get into/out of Yap twice a week so you have to do your homework when you schedule your trip. We got lucky when we went this year as they were running an early evening flight once a month and we caught that going in.

My wife & I did Yap before one week on the Palau Aggressor last October. Stayed at Manta Ray Bay. We recommend the stop in Yap.

Take a close look at the United/Continental schedules. When we made our booking, by going to Yap before Palau, we had three options: 3nts, 4nts, or a full week. 4nts worked well—3 days of diving and a day to explore the island. (Doing Yap after Palau would have only allowed a full week in Yap for our timing) The slower pace in Yap also let us ramp up to the 4 or 5 dives a day in Palau on the liveaboard.

Diving for the Mantas was much more exciting in Yap than in Palau. More of them, more reliable and we got much closer. We will never forget the Mantas five feet in front of us looking us right in the eye, then coming around again a flying right over us! Yap Caverns was also a lot of fun. Lots of sharks on the shark dive.

Check Trip Advisor for our review of Manta Ray Bay Resort (posted under the same screen name as here on Scubaboard)

Hi,
Since I live out here (Guam) I get to go to both places a lot. I would agree with those that have said go there, and for the reasons they gave. More and more you're going to run into an awful lot of boats at all of the dive sites in Palau, and this simply doesn't happen in Yap.

Very unique culture and the 3-4 day stay (very possible and then continue on to Palau) will make your trip very enjoyable.

BTW, check out Guam: Total Pacific Travel, Diving and Scuba Information for some very good pricing.

I did 4 nights and 3 days diving with the mantas in Yap then on to two weeks on the Aggressor. Perfect!! Manta Ray Bay Resort and the Palau Aggressor highly recommened if travelling that far!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom