Palau and travel fins?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jsyteng

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Anybody gone to Palau and used just travel-sized fins?

I could travel light and bring my Scubapro Go fins, but curious if they will have enough power for Palau's currents. I recently used them for the first time in Maui and even in light current I found the Go fins to be significantly less powerful than my Scubapro Twin Jets.

Ideally, I'd rather just bring a carry-on with travel fins but don't want to regret my decision later.

Insight and opinions greatly appreciated!

I dive a CCR in cold water, so stiffer paddle fins are critical. Went to HI and wanted to cut weight so I tried the SP Go fins, they lasted one boat trip! I'm a big fan of the Deep6 Eddie fins, which are light for a paddle fin, so I just picked up a smaller set for use with booties rather than rock boots. Your mileage may vary, but for anything with a good current, Go fins are no-go in my opinion.

I was poking around the forums for related threads. Just to clarify my original post, I have the "Go Travel" fins, which apparently are wimpier compared to the "Go Sport" versions. . . . I might be answering my own question at this point . . .

We had someone who was using split fins, they survived but they worked almost the entire time. Its a lot of current to fight against. I felt cozy using my RK3 I don't think I'd have enjoyed if I used my less stiff Hollis F2.

Interesting, my Scubapro Twin Jets are split fins . . . .which I've found to be more powerful than my Go Travels. . . . but didn't think that splits were inferior to paddle fins when diving in currents.

Interesting, my Scubapro Twin Jets are split fins . . . .which I've found to be more powerful than my Go Travels. . . . but didn't think that splits were inferior to paddle fins when diving in currents.
I only have one experience but they did not do well in the level of diving we were doing in Palau.

Also are you going with Fish n Fins?

Hi jsytend. I have the same question lol. I just booked the trip on Oct 30. I'm thinking to go and ask the aggressor people when I arrive there. Worst case I will use their rental fins.

Hi jsytend. I have the same question lol. I just booked the trip on Oct 30. I'm thinking to go and ask the aggressor people when I arrive there. Worst case I will use their rental fins.

I just finished my week of diving on the Aggressor. I am actually still in Koror and waiting to depart later tonite. It is simply a jaw-dropping experience!

I can confidently say that travel fins will not work here. No one used them, and the dive guides all used freedive paddle fins. I used split fins which worked fine. There are some dives that have ripping currents (Peleliu Cut and Peleliu Express, Ulong Channel) which will definitely make you work. I think if I used travel fins at Peleliu I would’ve ended up in the Philippines :)

Have fun on your trip. You will have a blast. I am still processing and reflecting on what an amazing time it was.

Anybody gone to Palau and used just travel-sized fins?

I could travel light and bring my Scubapro Go fins, but curious if they will have enough power for Palau's currents. I recently used them for the first time in Maui and even in light current I found the Go fins to be significantly less powerful than my Scubapro Twin Jets.

Ideally, I'd rather just bring a carry-on with travel fins but don't want to regret my decision later.

Insight and opinions greatly appreciated!
Force Fins. Easy to pack, great for all conditions. I don't leave home without them. 😎

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom