Palau - Agressor+land stay

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kyjellyfish

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm planning on going to Palau in January 2012 and would like to maximize the diving experience there. The plan right now is centered around a week on the Aggressor with some friends but I would like to stay for some additional time and do some diving with the local operators like Sam's or Fish 'n Fins. Ideally I'd also like to focus on Palau to minimize the number travel connections and time/expenses (I'm looking at Delta's SFO-NRT-ROR route).

What kind of overlap is there in terms of dive sites, what you see etc. between the Aggressor and land based operations? For those who've dove the Palau Aggressor, was a week enough? What do the local operators have to offer that the Palau Aggressor doesn't?

Thanks for the help!

As a dive guide,I work/lived in Koror,Palau for a year or so. (700+dives) I have seen every LOB that operates the Rock Islands but never worked on one. My experience is they usually work all the main/popular dive sites only which is the best diving this area has to offer. So keep track of where you dive on the LOB and then seek out the remainder of the sites on the day boats. The (7) WWII wrecks,Chandeler Cave,Lighthouse Reef,snorkel Jellyfish Lake,Ngerchong inside/outside,Short Dropofff,Jap Zero,Toratuga Cove,are some unpopular LOB stops. Get a dive site map,go to Sam's or F & F and ask them/tell them where your group wants to go diving. If business is slow,your group can hire a day boat and plan your whole dive day. IMPO Palau/Peleliu are the best places to dive in the world. Dive safe,have fun,& stay as long as you can!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

Last edited:
As a dive guide,I work/lived in Koror,Palau for a year or so. (700+dives) I have seen every LOB that operates the Rock Islands but never worked on one. My experience is they usually work all the main/popular dive sites only which is the best diving this area has to offer. So keep track of where you dive on the LOB and then seek out the remainder of the sites on the day boats. The (7) WWII wrecks,Chandeler Cave,Lighthouse Reef,snorkel Jellyfish Lake,Ngerchong inside/outside,Short Dropofff,Jap Zero,Toratuga Cove,are some unpopular LOB stops. Get a dive site map,go to Sam's or F & F and ask them/tell them where your group wants to go diving. If business is slow,your group can hire a day boat and plan your whole dive day. IMPO Palau/Peleliu are the best places to dive in the world. Dive safe,have fun,& stay as long as you can!
I don't believe Jellyfish Lake and Chandelier Cave are unpopular with liveaboards. I know the Aggressor, at least, regularly hits them once a week (a great last day of the trip since CC is shallow and JL is snorkeled).

For the OP, day boats from Koror can make the longer trips to Peleliu, etc., but there's a surcharge and a longer boat ride versus having the liveaboard simply cruise over to the island for the night. (Of course you can stay in Peleliu too and dive from there, not a bad idea at all.) I find that the main difference is being able to easily do 4 dives a day versus 2 or 3 per day with a day boat op. I'm OK doing 2 or 3 a day on a quick trip to Hawaii or the Caribbean, but when traveling all the way to Palau, I like to get my time and money's worth instead of spending hours a day shuttling back and forth to the dive sites. Food and lodging and drinks, not to mention the daily cost of diving, can be pricey on land. Unlike many locales, a luxury liveaboard in Palau might be an economical alternative, especially if priced per dive.

As a dive guide, I believe the OP was inquring what & where to dive after his time was completed on the LOB. There are several dive sites from the Koror area that do not require hours of travel time. You plan a (3) dive 'day boat' then come back and do a cave,night wreck,or Manderian fish hunt. Any dive site "inside the reef" can be less than (5) minutes to (30) minutes max, besides Rainbow's End is beautiful place!

"living life without a hard bottom"
KT

The Aggressor II hits the same spots that Sam's hits with their day boats on the 1 week trip. If you do the Aggressor II two week trip, they go to the northern reefs and islands, a lot less dived than the southern islands.

That said, the Aggressor II can get you earlier on the hot spots like the Blue Corner and German Channel, and like someone above said, you can do 4 - 5 dives a day.

That said, the favorite spots on Palau look somewhat different every dive because of the critters and the current. I agree that it is some of the best diving on the planet.

I can't speak for the difference in dive sites from a live aboard versus the land based boats, but I can say that Fish 'n Fins does a GREAT job! The Landmark Marina hotel right next door is very convenient and met all of our needs.

Enjoy

I did two weeks on the Aggressor in February and I could of spent three or more easily. The itinerary was similar but not the same each week depending on the tide and the current. A few of the divers on board were back for their third or fourth time. No two dives at the same site are ever the same regardless and after being on a liveaboard there I'm not sure what a land based operation has to offer beyond this experience? As well I enjoyed that the staff and I got to know each other over the two weeks and felt a bit more like "family" the second week.

Greetings Ken, As you remember I stayed at the Sea Passion hotel and dove with Sam's the week after our Aggresssor diving. Sams did a terrific job. The rides to and from the dive sites were not strenuous at all. Very scenic as they took different ways to and from each day. The primary difference was that on the aggressor it is 5 dives a day and you are paying for it. At Sam's you get 3 dives a day and pay a little less than half (diving and hotel along with the extra meals). By the way, if you want 3 dives a day you will want to prepay so they get you on the right boat, most only do 2 dives per day. boardmail me with any questions, It was a pleasure having your company on the boat.

Back
Top Bottom