Palau Aggressor II vs. Mermaid II (Komodo) in September - First liveaboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bibeldyboo

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi all,

I'm ready for my first liveaboard and can't decide between these two ships and itineraries for September.

Concerns:
Haven't dived in insane currents (saw a few posts on Komodo about this)
One connection, no crazy flight times (to maximize vacation days)

I really love macro, but also like large Pelagics. I'd rate macro 10/10 and large pelagic 8/10. Healthy coral is also very important.

Last dives were on Azores and Cozumel.

I'm nitrox and advanced certified, about 70 dives total.

I'm not too concerned about luxury boats, just comfortable and has A/C.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is a lot of money for me and I want to do it right. Thanks!

I've done Komodo twice on the MM2.
The first time I liked it so much I got home and booked another trip for the next year.
With their itinerary you'll get a great mix of big stuff and macro. There are some really good muck dives on their route, and of course you'll also get your current fueled dives too. If you are leary about the famous Komodo currents don't be, yes they can rip but they know how to dive them safely. I love Komodo for its mix of pelagic and macro, I've had some epic manta dives there and some epic macro dives there. The reefs are in great shape and if you've not dove in SEA your information a real treat.
I've only done Palau once from land I liked it alot, and was there mostly for the shark action which is great and better than the shark action in Komodo, but on my trip to Palau the guides were not that interested in even looking for macro, so that was disappointing to watch them lead a group right over a nudibranch without even pointing it out.

The MM2 is a great midrange boat, comfy, great food, great crew, I have no problems recommending it. It leaves and returns from Bali so it's some long flights so if you can spend sometime in Bali, do so since you have gone all that way.
You can spend days over on the Indonesia board reading up on it, it's my favorite place to dive and I go back as much as I can it's so addicting. I just did my fourth trip to Komodo and tenth to Indonesia so it must be pretty good.

Indonesia over Palau any day.... Both places have currents. Just make sure you listen to your briefings and stay behind your guide when they tell you to! Komodo is way better than Palau for macro critters.. and Pelagics. I have been to Palau twice and Komodo 5 times.

I've done both from a liveaboard. Although Palau is great, Komodo wins out for me.

Thanks everyone! I think I've been sufficiently swayed for the Komodo trip, and can't wait.

As for booking liveaboards, do you typically book through the company that owns the liveaboard, or through a travel agent (and if so, do you have a recommendation)? First time, so want to make sure it's done right.

It depends, if you think you might use that company again they will probably offer a discount for return bookings, Mermaid does. I've also used a LOB agent as they will also sometimes give a return customer booking discounts.
I've used Premier Liveaboard Diving and they have excellent service.

Pros and cons. If you didn't feel very experienced, then I would say go Palau first then Komodo. If you can only do one ever, then Komodo for sure. In beautiful sunny weather Palau is very beautiful and more so than Komodo.. Komodo is nice and islands and volcanos, etc but looks, surprisingly to me, a lot like California's rolling brown hills in the summer. Amazingly, even though Komodo is further, the flight will likely be cheaper or at most the same (due to the Indo domestic flight) as Palau due to particularly expensive flights to Palau.

Thank you everyone for your help and comments!

I bit the bullet, and booked yesterday. My dates became a bit more fluid, so now I'm going in June (10-17), but I'm booked for Mermaid II in Komodo, and couldn't be more excited!!! Wooooo!!!

You will have a blast on the Mermaid II in Komodo. Great boat, great staff and absolutely incredible diving. I loved it so much I went back on for Raja Ampat. You will have the time of your life!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom