Painting Gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Building supply stores in the US have an assortment of inexpensive gloves in bright orange and greenish colors. They’re cheap, can be used by themselves or over dive gloves or liners for warmth. Any concern about paint being toxic to marine life? Also take 007’s comment seriously: white or bright hands look like food to many fish. I once saw a friendly grouper try to swallow a girl’s hand.

Several very light coats of spray (can) enamel paint would probably do the trick. With very fine misting, you end up with lots of tiny paint dots stuck to the surface rather than a heavy layer. That allows better flex and reduces the chance of peeling. Touch up is also easy.

I like this idea, but depending on the brand and formulation of the paint I’d be concerned about the solvents in the spray paint eating the neoprene. @EvaFin if you’re going to try this, I’d suggest asking your LDS for a scrap of neoprene from an old rental wetsuit to try it on first.

Just my $.02 as a guy who melted some foam trying to paint it with spray paint. I’d probably go the cheap work glove route

Mark

That sounds ideal, thank-you so much. Have you tried it yourself at all?

I like this idea, but depending on the brand and formulation of the paint I’d be concerned about the solvents in the spray paint eating the neoprene. @EvaFin if you’re going to try this, I’d suggest asking your LDS for a scrap of neoprene from an old rental wetsuit to try it on first.

Just my $.02 as a guy who melted some foam trying to paint it with spray paint. I’d probably go the cheap work glove route

Mark

I have not tried it with neoprene. My suggestion really stems from the results of lots of (unintentional, but inevitable) overspray on gloves and clothing.

Mark makes a really good point about testing on something that you are willing to toss. While the exposure duration and concentration will be pretty low, some of the spray-paint solvents are pretty agressive.

Disclaimer:
Entirely inappropriate and not helpful in the least bit:

Now I can't get this picture out of my head:

My first real wreck dive and upon penetrating the wreck, while tying off my line I notice this diver appearing to look like a mime pulling on an imaginary line and gesturing... I am curling over hard from laughing, but manage to not spit out my reg or silt up the place ... and after collecting myself, call the dive, 'cause something's not quite right in the wreck with the mime...
:wink:

I'd go with white gloves over your dive gloves.

Besides you won't need to use them on every dive, so why ruin a pair of perfectly good dive gloves?

Just carry a spare set in your BCD pocket and pull them out when required.

Attachments

• White Gloves.jpg
    White Gloves.jpg
    66.7 KB · Views: 89
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom