wet gloves & dry gloves

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lucca brassi

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Which wet and dry gloves do you recommend for a good feel at your fingertips. I’m not frosty and I don’t do long dives, but I have a damaged (partially amputated) left thumb and it prevents me from handling carbines on my chest D rings. I am especially bothered by the spongy neoprene gloves, where I completely lose my sense of the position of the carbines. I’m currently using some no name 3mm neoprene gloves, but they don’t have well-made fingertips to the touch. Average temp around 10°C .

PS: I know the technique of receiving a carbine
for now, I wouldn’t put on the cuffs some various ring systems

Momentary I like to try :
DRY :
- Si tech Nordic Blue with cuff
- Scubapro Easy Don

WET: I would like them to be rubberized below
I think to put ordinary working gloves over neoprene 3 mm ?

Try a pair of 5mm neoprene gloves. Cut tip of index finger and your good thumb back about a half inch. Soak tips of other glove fingers in tool dip( rubberized coating.) dip them about a 1/4 inch, just enough to cover tips. Your hand will be warm ns you’ll have the dexterity in good hand to operate anything.

The nordic blue gloves are basically a SHOWA/Atlas pvc glove with a conical latex seal glued on.

I am very partial to SHOWA'S model 720 glove which is made from nitrile. This glove, in my opinion, fits nicer than the pvc gloves, and more important it remains flexible much mores so than pvc gloves when they are cold...the pvc glove material tends to become a bit stiff which affects dexterity.

Unfortunately, the 720 gloves do not come with attached seals and the only practical way to use themwould be to add one of the various ring systems. If you have latex seals on your suit, I would recommend looking at the Rolock 3 system.

One other benefit of the nitrile glove model is they are more puncture and cut resistant than pvc and latex gloves...

...but for your situation where you want maximum dexterity then I recommend either latex pullover gloves which still require ring like the viking rings or the SHOWA 720 nitrile gloves.

-Z

The kubi dry gloves have had the best dexterity i've found in a dry glove (they are also the most fragile) but that only works if you are doing rings on the seals. I have a pair of aqualung 3mm that are my go to wet gloves even in California waters (50f) when I need dexterity in wet gloves.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom