Paint Removal Before Hydro?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AlabamaExile

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello all,

I just bought a used Luxfer S80 with what appears to be a bead blast finish. The prior owner painted on a name using a stencil, which I would like to remove from the tank.

I understand that the paint can be removed by using a paint stripper that is safe for aluminum. The tank is in need of hydrostatic testing and VIP, however, so my question is whether it would be better to remove the paint prior to taking in the tank for hydro/VIP, or waiting to remove that paint after the hydro/VIP are finished? Or, does it really matter? I don't know why it would make a difference, but it seems like I read somewhere that inspectors can get picky if they notice that paint has been stripped from a tank.

Thanks,

AE

I would do it before because depending on the person at the dive shop they might make an issue about it. Depending on the type of paint that used on the tank you might can just use a pressure washer to remove the paint. On the tank I have that were painted I bead blasted them to remove the coating, I like the bead blasted finish better. I have also used paint stripper and it did not work very well alone, but works good with a pressure washer.

What kind of paint do you use on scuba equipment?

be careful, if there is evidence of what appears to be sanding/grinding its very possible that they hydro tech might just nix it because they are unsure. but you definitely should do it prior to hydro, it might actually be easier to paint the entire tank than remove the old paint.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom