Pain in back of hands after diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

no1cr500racer

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
After my first dive at Catalina Island (3 dives actually) on my way to open water certification, i noticed my left hand getting rather sore on the back. About one inch from the wrist joint, and between the index and middle finger area. I thought I must have whacked the back of my hand on the boat at some point and just delt with it. That brings me to here, 2 months later and just did my final beach dive to finish my open water certification. We did 2 dives at laguna beach, shaws cove, avg. depth for the dives, 28 feet, and about 40 minutes each. ( dont have my log book here ) and about a hour 45 minute surface interval between dives. While packing up, I noticed my left hand sore, just like after the Catalina dive. So i rule out the "whacking my hand on something". as the day progressed, both hands got sore, very sore if I was to wiggle the index finger and middle finger up and down. I talked to my instructor, and he hadnt heard of that, and said we were well within the NDL on all dives, and I agreed.
Its now monday afternoon, 2 days past the dive, I am taking motrin to keep the swelling down, and I have a theory I thought I would like to hear any comments on. Sunday morning I noticed if I move my index and middle fingers slowly up and down, they squeek! I can feel them dragging across the back of my hand, I put the back of my hand against my ear and moved my fingers, and could hear it loud and clear , like the tendons were dragging inside the sheath that covers them. Ok, my theory, I have a new wetsuit, only used twice so far, fits me good, snug, but not uncomfortable, new gloves, snug fit on hand and across the back of my hand. Could it be, that the tightness of the wetsuit, coupled with the tightness of the glove, is causing the tendons of my hand to drag inside the sheath, and cause it to become inflamed?
Some background about me, I would say I am in excellant physical condition, go to the gym 5 days a week, weight train and some cardio, I race off road motorcycles, do pretty well at it, downhill mountain bike with my boys as often as I can. I am 52, and have always tried to keep fit, so this really bugs me, I hope some larger gloves will take care of this. I will be diving with no wetsuit or gloves in Cozumel and Grand Cayman next week, so if it is from the tight wetsuit and glove combo, that will solve that, I hope. anyone ever heard of anything like this before?

I am neither an expert on decompression sickness nor a doctor but, if you're diving in cold water and perhaps have a little bit of arthritis or maybe some carpal tunnel from too much computer time or even holding the motorcycle throttle for extended periods, it might be that the cold water is exacerbating the underlying condition. Try diving with and without the wetsuit in warm water and see if it makes a difference.

If all else fails, it never hurts to see your doctor.

I'm not a doctor either but my guess is your gloves are too tight. I've had similar problems, especially when coupled with carrying a steel tank by the valve for a while.

Reactions: Jax
. . . the tightness of the glove, is causing the tendons of my hand to drag inside the sheath, and cause it to become inflamed?

That's what my doctor described as Crepitus (sp?) . . . my boot had too much of an indent against my Achilles' tendons . . . you could put your fingers on the tendon, move the foot, and feel the vibration.

(not a doctor, just recognized the symptoms) FWIW

I am really hoping its a tight glove, next week I will find out, if its the colder water and glove issue or not. Thanks for the quick responses!

Ok, I am back from Cozumel and Grand Cayman, I did 2 dives in each location, they were awesome by the way. I had absolutly NO pain in my hands at all. So I think it is safe to say, the tight sleeves and gloves are whats making the back of my hand hurt, maybe the cold water, but I think its mostly the squeeze on the tendons, causing them to drag inside the sheath and inflamming them. I am in the process of stretching the sleeves and gloves a little to see if that helps.

. . . you could put your fingers on the tendon, move the foot, and feel the vibration.

(not a doctor, just recognized the symptoms) FWIW[/QUOTE]

Thats just what my hand was doing, i would put the back of my hand to my ear and move my fingeres and it Creaked as my fingers moves, like a old squeaky door. but nothing after a warm water dive with no gloves or wetsuit, so guess it was the tight fitting stuff.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom