Paid subscriptions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How about charging per post?

One would hope it would reduce the number of "I agree completely", "Way to Go!", "You're a total dumb***!" posts which inhibit finding useful information here. And to satisfy those who might feel they were being stifled by pay-per-post, give them 50 posts gratis.........maybe even 50 per year.

It boggles my mind to see profiles like: 5700+ posts in 2 years. That works out to 7.8 posts per day -- 365 days a year!

Todd

LOL!

I guess that just cost me a dollar.......

Tech Admin:
RICHinNC,
Could you please clarrify your post, I can't figure out what you mean? :confused2

I believe what he said was:

"I haven't seen the banner ads yet and was not aware that Scubaboard was using them. If you happened to run a poll on whether or not members of the board would support a user fee, I would vote negative."

Of course this is just a guess on my part. :D

Tech Admin:
ScubaBoard is doing just fine financially, the banners and other advertising cover the hosting costs so don't worry about the doors being shut tomorrow.

Always good to have a little extra in the pot to cover blown drives and fried chips, or even just for upgrades and expansion. Our mail server at work is always short for drive space. Paypal account for voluntary donation or user fees for a banner-free choice might be good options.

You may wish to consider telling potential advertisers what a fantastic place SB is to advertise their scuba related goods and or services.

The "word of mouth" is THE most powerfull force for attracting quality advertisers that many of you interact with.

Like these:

Boat Operators
Hotel/Tour Operators
Training folks
Equipment sales via Web stores or local markets

and the list goes on and on.

Plus you get that warm and fuzzy all over feeling for helping the Community with your referal which equates to cold hard cash for Advertising which is the best revenue model.

Ever wounder how SB reached 21K members in a few short years with over 515K post and yet never paid a nickle to advertise?

Yep...word of mouth :)

Congrats and best wishes to all.

Dive safe

TDunbar:
How about charging per post?

One would hope it would reduce the number of "I agree completely", "Way to Go!", "You're a total dumb***!" posts which inhibit finding useful information here. And to satisfy those who might feel they were being stifled by pay-per-post, give them 50 posts gratis.........maybe even 50 per year.

It boggles my mind to see profiles like: 5700+ posts in 2 years. That works out to 7.8 posts per day -- 365 days a year!

Todd

FFLMAO - YES !!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Steve!

He is right though, the more you tell others about this place the more we can grow and do for all of you... food for thought.

One of the other sites that I visit has a membership option. If you are not a paying member you can't post photos, you CAN link to them. You also don't have an avatar. They have several different "levels" $1- $49 gets you listed as a "contributor" $50-?? gets "bronze contributor" status and an avatar, then comes silver and gold.

A membership fee of $9.95 or $14.99/yr with added benefits would be cool.

I really don't like the concept of "paying for more privelges"... something about that whole concept seems quite crass to me.

Tech...sorry it took me so long to get back....work is a bear.
I just dont think the ads are a big deal....and I certainly dont want
to start paying for the ability to read and contribute to SB. I am not
sure what I would do if a fee came about. There are still too many free
sites regarding scuba to have to start paying. If I did pay...I would
expect a lot.....and I havent seen a lot delivered by most pay sites
that couldnt be gotten free somewhere else.

SB is fine the way it is. Keep changing the look if it makes 'someone' happy...but
once you start wanting $$$$$$$ .....the whole atmosphere changes.

Just my old butt tainted opinion.
Rich

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom