Paging Dr Mom

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MikeC:
Actually many doctors prescribe what the salespeople tell them is best, they do NOT know if drug A is better then drug B. If you blindly trust your doctor you may die some day from an issue caused by the doctor.

Actually I am very familiar with this mentality. Over the years my wife has capped herbs and vitamins by the bag load. My sister was a very successful midwife and although she has retired she will deliver my new nephew in a few weeks. When I was young, bulletproof, and never ever sick it was easy to sit around quoting passages from "Confessions of a Medical Heretic" and scoff at the fools who actually thought doctors knew what they were talking about or had anyones best interest at heart other than their own.

Now I'm older. While I may not know squat about diving I do know this: if you have the flu-fever-cough and you've had it more than two weeks, the doc can and will help. To imply that the guy, or gal, who made it through college, got accepted to medical school, and spent 8 or 10 years after high school learning about medicine doesn't know or care about what he or she is doing is silly.

IMO

I've been on both sides of the fence, as a patient, and also as a medic. The very best patients are well-informed and are responsible partners in their own care. If you have some kind of condition, find out everything you can about it.

As for antibiotics: Unless you have a bacterial infection, they won't do you one bit of good, and as was pointed out, may actually do you harm.

Chicken noodle soup, NyQuil at night, DayQuil during the day, clear juices, fairly bland foods if you have an appetite, Tylenol or Motrin to keep the fever down if you have one, and water, water, water.

My great Uncle said to take a large pitcher and dump a shot of every thing in the alchol cabinet in the pitcher. Drink it and when you wake up you will either be better or dead! My choice is Nyquil, lots of fresh OJ, Homemade chicken noodle soup, and fresh air (this doesnt mean to put your gear on and breath) open the windows!

OD makes me tea with honey and appletons rum in it. Same thing, if it doesn't make you feel better you won't care. It actually does work.

(Preface: This advice is generic and not intended to treat any specific patient or illness. In other words, don't sue me.)

If you read the literature on OTC meds, very few have been shown to be definitely efficacious. The Allegra you are taking, for example, is useful for allergies, but has no utility at all in viral illnesses.

The meds which do have efficacy: Pseudoephedrine, which is a good decongestant. It is contraindicated in people with severe high blood pressure or with heart rhythm disturbances. Oxymetazoline (Afrin) or neo-synephrine as topical decongestants. These medications need to be regarded with respect, as overuse can produce a severe dependence. Dextromethorphan (the DM in cough syrups) probably has a mild cough suppressant effect. And Ibuprofen is excellent for reducing fever and relieving the joint and muscles aches.

What I tell my patients with uncomplicated respiratory illnesses is to try this regimen: 60 mg of Sudafed am and noon. ONE squirt of Afrin in each nostril at bedtime. Dextromethorphan containing cough syrup as needed for cough. On this regiment, the patient will have a couple of hours in mid-afternoon where nasal congestion is annoying, which is when the noon dose of Sudafed and the previous night's Afrin have both worn off. One must resist the temptation to redose, as late afternoon doses of Sudafed may prevent sleep and early dosing of Afrin starts the bad spiral into dependency on that medication.

Hope any of this helps. Most stuff over the counter is snake oil.

Me -- I take Echinacea at the slightest hint of a symptom, and haven't had a real cold (despite working in an ER) in several years. The literature really doesn't support this, but my anecdotal/placebo effect experience has been super!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom