PADI?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, I checked out all of the shops here that you cite as teaching in BP/W, shoops that you cite as examples of PADI shops unwilling to do this. Most of them are PADI shops!

Now, Most of them are also GUE shops, and that includes EE (Extreme Exposure), one of the shops I was thinking of myself. For those who don't know, EE is the home of GUE; its owner is also the owner of GUE and Halcyon. EE, of course, focuses on GUE instruction, but it also offers PADI instruction. Its owner does not teach any more to my knowledge, but he is a PADI instructor (as well as other agencies). Until a couple of years ago, almost all of its OW instruction was done through PADI.

I never said they were not PADI Shops. These are the shops that teach mostly in BP/W. However, the shops I have dealt with or worked for in the past discouraged this method of teaching—and is one of the reasons I left. IMHO, it is better to teach in a configuration (BP/W Long hose) that is just as good for recreational as it is for technical. Why buy two sets of gear if you decide to move to more advanced diving?

The dive shop / school here in Porto that teaches GUE courses, also teaches SSI. Neverthless, SSI courses are taught with BPW and primary donate.

I know at least one diving centre focusing on GUE training that does not necessarily teach OW in BP/W. I believe that it really depends on the business they can do. If they can make enough money with that configuration, they'll do it; otherwise, they go for standard BCD. How much "enough" is, clearly depends

I never said they were not PADI Shops. These are the shops that teach mostly in BP/W. However, the shops I have dealt with or worked for in the past discouraged this method of teaching—and is one of the reasons I left. IMHO, teach in a configuration that is just as good for recreational as it is for technical. Why buy two sets of gear if you decide to move to more advanced diving?

I can see your point, but you cannot expect to change an entire world in a couple of years; so why blaming PADI for the "old school" guys? In the end, if PADI kicks out all the "old style" shops, these shops will just form a new organization or move to another one already existing without changing anything. If PADI will SLOWLY push them towards a better direction, even if this will take decades, PADI will continue to make money and the community will benefit from more shops who are slightly more modern... it's better for everybody

If you want to go to an agency that actually is more rigorous about protocols, equipment, etc... well there are already several alive, I do not have to name them, you just have to choose. But this is a different market niche, so you cannot expect PADI to be the same.

7 pages of same old.

:popcorn:

If I read those 7 pages again, I can put SSI wherever it says PADI. Okay, no zombie apocalypse diver but they do have underwater basket weaving!

PADI is a profit company. Those companies make money.
And PADI is pretty successful because they have excellent marketing. Which is why newbies walk into a divecenter and say I want to get my PADI. Even if that divecenter is SSI or NAUI or CMAS or ______ *.

Not a single newbie ever walked into a divecenter and said I want to get my GUE (except in Afganistan, where many people used to sign up for Fundamentalist training).

* fill in the blank

I know at least one diving centre with a GUE instructor that does not necessarily teach OW in BP/W. It really depends on the business they can do. If they can make enough money with that configuration, they'll do it; otherwise, they go for standard BCD. How much "enough" is, clearly depends

I can see your point, but you cannot expect to change an entire world in a couple of years; so why blaming PADI for the "old school" guys? In the end, if they kick out all the "old style" shops, these shops will just form a new organization or move to another one already existing without changing anything. If PADI will SLOWLY push them towards a better direction, even if this will take decades, PADI will continue to make money and the community will benefit from more shops who are slightly more modern... it's better for everybody

If you want to go to an agency that actually is more rigorous about protocols, equipment, etc... well there are already several alive, I do not have to name them, you just have to choose. But this is a different market niche, so you cannot expect PADI to be the same.

High points, and honestly, that is what I am working towards. With that said, my original post stated my gripes were more in line with the old-school PADI mentality shops—its a culture gripe more than an agency gripe. Nevertheless, it's my opinion. Maybe we have had different experiences? The majority of PADI LDS's I've worked with are scared to start their students off in a BP/W configuration because 1. They don't sell the equipment 2. Have no idea how to dive it themselves 3. It is a higher initial price than 50 sets of Aqua Lung BCDS, Titan Regulators. And Octos (even though it would last much longer and be cheaper repair in the long-run) and 4. they are set in their ways of doing things.

I don't blame them, and honestly, I've decided to:

1. Go independent and teach my students in BP/W.

2. Work on getting an instructor internship with the agency I feel provides the best overall education and experience.

I have solved my gripes. However, the OP asked for opinions on why folks like to give PADI hate, and I gave mine.

However, the OP asked for opinions on why folks like to give PADI hate, and I gave mine.
Actually, the OP asked for information, which I would have thought would be facts, not opinions.

Even non-profits have to stay in the black or they'll be gone too.
Yeah, everyone needs to stay in the black to survive over time. But I happen to believe that it's easier to stay in the black if you don't have to pay dividends to your shareholders.

My only experience is with PADI and CMAS. and while PADI has pretty superior teaching material (they have to, to stay in competition), my flavor of CMAS has a more diver-oriented attitude. I got a mite tired of the commercial pushing that PADI did. But each to their own.

High points, and honestly, that is what I am working towards. With that said, my original post stated my gripes were more in line with the old-school PADI mentality shops—its a culture gripe more than an agency gripe. Nevertheless, it's my opinion. Maybe we have had different experiences? The majority of PADI LDS's I've worked with are scared to start their students off in a BP/W configuration because 1. They don't sell the equipment 2. Have no idea how to dive it themselves 3. It is a higher initial price than 50 sets of Aqua Lung BCDS, Titan Regulators. And Octos (even though it would last much longer and be cheaper repair in the long-run) and 4. they are set in their ways of doing things.

I don't blame them, and honestly, I've decided to:

1. Go independent and teach my students in BP/W.

2. Work on getting an instructor internship with the agency I feel provides the best overall education and experience.

I have solved my gripes. However, the OP asked for opinions on why folks like to give PADI hate, and I gave mine.

Ok, got it. I do not blame PADI as well, and my view is similar to yours: I only dive BP/W and a long hose. Just for curiosity, which agency are you considering?

Actually, the OP asked for information, which I would have thought would be facts, not opinions.

Isn't "Giving Hate" an opinion? I have yet to see that terminology in any of my peer reviews.

Ok, got it. I do not blame PADI as well, and my view is similar to yours: I only dive BP/W and a long hose. Just for curiosity, which agency are you considering?
I believe he indicated that he will stay with PADI, since PADI allows him to to work as an independent, which some agencies (like SSI) do not. Agencies that do not allow instructors to work independent of dive shops generally have that rule, as SSI openly states, because they believe the purpose of dive instruction is to drive equipment sales.

Sill a long road ahead but, GUE.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom