PADI vs SSI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ChikkenNoodul:
Is that new? SSI didn't require that when I got my AOW through them a few years ago.

No, his statement is incorrect.

You need Stress & Rescue for MASTER DIVER with SSI.

Advance Open Water Diver with SSI requires: 24 Dives + 4 Specialties

I'm an SSI diver, but it just occured to me that (this is probably completely unimportant and irrelevant) that since most foreign dive shops operate under PADI, it would be hard to do additional dive training (specialty courses for example) while abroad. I've never had any additional training on top of getting my c-card, so I'm not sure how the process works at all and. For all I know, it may be possible to take specialty courses of different certification agencies. I got certified with SSI and the process went smoothly. Just something to consider.

Mantasscareme:
I'm an SSI diver, but it just occured to me that (this is probably completely unimportant and irrelevant) that since most foreign dive shops operate under PADI, it would be hard to do additional dive training (specialty courses for example) while abroad. I've never had any additional training on top of getting my c-card, so I'm not sure how the process works at all and. For all I know, it may be possible to take specialty courses of different certification agencies. I got certified with SSI and the process went smoothly. Just something to consider.
It does not matter what agency you certify with originally as far as taking additional courses in the future. You can take PADI, SSI, etc courses anywhere regardless. My original cert is SSI and all my courses after that were with other organizations (mostly PADI) including courses taken while I was out of the country. No problems.

ChikkenNoodul:
Is that new? SSI didn't require that when I got my AOW through them a few years ago.

SSI Doesn't require Stress & Rescue to become AOW, but it is required to be ranked as "Master Diver".
SSI Specialty diver = 12 dives, + 2 specilties
SSI AOW = 24 dives, + 4 specialties
SSI Master diver = 50 dives + 4 specialties + Stress & Rescue

Let me elaborate on that. My shop STONGLY recommends S&R prior to AOW, to help you be a better diver and better dive buddy. I like the idea of training on how to react and perform in emergency situations, since I'm a NOOB anyway. I feel like if there are two of us diving, and we are of equal experience and something happens, we'd both be up the creek.

Sorry, OKOK. Didn't intend to jack the thread....

Jack

ChikkenNoodul:

Lorien offers good advice- the agency may not be as important as the instructor. There are good (and bad) instructors in all agencies. I would look for one that really stresses rigor in their course- to the point of requiring some of the "optional" elements.

Although SCUBA can be a fairly safe sport with proper training, experience and personality; we are dealing with our lives. I would want the best instructor and training possible even for a re-cert. Perhaps you should observe the potential instructors giving a class.

I was fortunate in having two great instructors- one from LAC and one from PADI. Even though I'd been diving for 40 years when I took the PADI AOW class, my instructor (in Australia) would not let me slide on one element of the class until I truly mastered it. I respected him for that.

Dr. B.

okokdude:
Hi all
I am going to take a scuba course again after 15 years and my local dive shops have both PADI and SSI. some are pushing PADI and some SSI - I need some non Bias advice on which to take

thanks
Shon

To address bias, I don't work in the dive industry and have C cards from both SSI and PADI programs. All things being equal I'd say go with SSI. The courses stuck me and much more comprehensive and complete.

But things are never equal. The instructor can make all the difference. Poll anyone you know for the best instructor you can find and go with him or her. A good one will focus on skills you need to dive safely. But if you have two that are close, I'd go with SSI.

lorien:
It does not matter what agency you certify with originally as far as taking additional courses in the future. You can take PADI, SSI, etc courses anywhere regardless. My original cert is SSI and all my courses after that were with other organizations (mostly PADI) including courses taken while I was out of the country. No problems.
Thanks for corrrecting me. I've had the wrong idea all of this time :11: nice to know :wink:

Thanks to everybody for all of the input- I found a Dive shop and instructor that i like
and they are pushing SDI but they also do PADI- they are by far the most expensive of all that i checked into but i feel good about the amont of time they spent with me
thanks again

Shon

Are there limitations as to where you can dive with either of these certifications? I though I had read somewhere on the boards that if you are SSI you are limited to where you can dive (worldwide)? Whereas, if you are PADI there are no limitations.

Are there certifications that prevent you from diving in different world locations?

I'm sorry if my questioning seems redundant, but i'm a newbie trying to get into this amazing sport. I want to make sure I get the right class of certification so that I can go any where with it.

Thanks
Tyme

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom