PADI vs SEI AOW Curriculum

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

On the question of whether the agency matters much (in this case, SEI vs. PADI).

I've been following some discussions of SEI on this forum over the years. I do not hold any certifications with them, so my impressions are what I've gleaned from the forum, and my interpretations of it.

If I understand correctly, SEI came about at least in part because there were a number of instructors who believed modern recreational scuba instruction (particularly at the OW entry level) had been so reduced in efforts to make it accessible & marketable to (and profitable by) a larger portion of the public, that the modern training standards were inadequate.

That doesn't mean that a good instructor couldn't do a good, thorough OW course under one of the mainstream agencies (e.g.: PADI, SSI, NAUI), but rather there was a perception that the mainstream agencies' course requirements and practices enabled a culture where some instructors basically became 'certification machines' - checking off students who rather than master the content simply did each skill, more or less, at least once, and were often marginally competent (if that).

Some believed there ought to be an agency with more thorough course content/higher standards required, and more instructor leeway to add content as deemed appropriate and make it a requirement for certification, and I think to give the instructor the option to withhold the cert. card if he believes the diver isn't competent for it, even if the diver managed to do a series of required skills (the idea that you certify someone as if they'd be buddy diving with your loved one).

Such an agency would then attract like-minded instructors more dedicated to a higher quality of finished product (certified divers).

I may be making major errors here, and I apologize in advance if so.

With all that in mind, I suppose that the agency chosen for a course does make a difference (e.g.: SEI includes some rescue skills in the basic OW course, that PADI doesn't require), all the more so if the compared courses are both taught to agency minimum standards.

The sort of thing gets argued repeatedly on the forum. It's pointed out that some excellent instructors manage to do a fine job under the PADI system. Counterpoint - they're not representative of the 'average' instructor. But a minimum standards marginal instructor could probably do a mediocre job in any agency (at least for awhile). And back & forth it goes.

Richard.

True to a degree. The biggest agencies of rec diving ie. PADI and SSI are basically carbon copies of each other with PADI 'setting the bar' and the like-minded agencies following on their coat-tails. There are many, many agencies out there, some of which do differ in ideaologies, however for basic training* the vast majority of recreational agencies share more similarities than differences.

There are some smaller agencies** that include or exclude an exercise or two... but there is not a whole lot of difference in the required skills that even these agencies demand of a beginner diver.

*Basic training= Entry level cert. + 'Experience cert.

** Club based or 'locally based'- often not found in 'typical vacation areas'. Not a dig- simply a reflection of certification numbers.

Within the agencies there are good instructors and bad. Some see nothing wrong with simply ticking the boxes and certifying someone. Other instructors train more intensely for localised conditions or include more information during a course.
(PADI) Drift Adventure Dive Performance Requirements:

1. Plan the drift dive and enter the water with regard to
the particular environmental conditions.
2. Maintain buddy contact as planned for that environment.
3. Maintain neutral buoyancy and avoid unintended
contact with aquatic life and the bottom.
4. Make a safety stop at 5 metres/15 feet for at least three
minutes.
5. Exit as planned, specific to the particular
environmental conditions.

Following this to the letter results in a 'Box-ticking' experience dive which counts towards an AOW cert. SSI follows much the same outline but calls their program 'Waves, Tides and Current' and their 'adventure dives' count towards their 'Advanced Adventurer' certificate.

An individual instructor may well include teaching how to deploy an SMB during the drift dive- none of the major rec agencies make it mandatory that I know of in Basic Training courses.

Back
Top Bottom