PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been trained by SDI and what I've heard and experienced is that SDI emphasizes and in fact requires diving with computers with their open water certification. They do teach tables, but it is given short shrift and the level of table competency is instructor dependent. I am happy with this emphasis but could do tables if needed by referring to my training book which does include a table explanation section.

I've heard that PADI deemphasizes computer diving with respect to SDI. I've talked with instructors who've done both and most slightly prefer SDI as it is more up-to-date with current technology. Overall all though, it's your choice and as a number have said, your choice of instructor is most important.

That is not in PADI standards. PADI standards state: "candidates complete a:

1) 200 metre/yard continuous surface swim and a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids

OR

2) 300 metre/yard swim with a mask, snorkel and fin and a 10-minute swim/float without using any swim aids.
"

There's no mention of face in the water.
It is the same as PADI, 300 yards with fins/mask/snorkel or 200 yards swim. They simply tell everyone to put on fins, mask, and snorkel, and jump in and fin. At least the local SSI shop. They don't care if you have a wetsuit on or not.

Leave the wetsuit on.
As Walter correctly pointed out, "without using any swim aids". That means that if the student is wearing a wetsuit, you have to make sure they are neutrally buoyant before that swim counts.

And in fact that is stated in the PADI instructor manual, I mean cold water is cold water...so I can certainly understand the use of a wetsuit with weight compensation.

I've been trained by SDI and what I've heard and experienced is that SDI emphasizes and in fact requires diving with computers with their open water certification. They do teach tables, but it is given short shrift and the level of table competency is instructor dependent. I am happy with this emphasis but could do tables if needed by referring to my training book which does include a table explanation section.

In about another 50 years, all the other training agencies will eventually see things this way as well. Then they will forget who was the first to do it this way. By then, diving with a computer will simply be defined as doing it right, and any other way will be called doing it wrong.

In the meantime, enjoy arguing over it.:)

In about another 50 years, all the other training agencies will eventually see things this way as well. Then they will forget who was the first to do it this way. By then, diving with a computer will simply be defined as doing it right, and any other way will be called doing it wrong.

In the meantime, enjoy arguing over it.:)

50 years ago they also said all cars will eventually have automatic transmisions because its much easier. We can all see how that statement worked out.

50 years ago they also said all cars will eventually have automatic transmisions because its much easier. We can all see how that statement worked out.

But, almost all cars are automatic in the US. Except when you travel to Mexico, then it is different. I spent more than half of my life driving a stick shift. But now, we have auto so more folks can drive our cars.

I would not doubt if 50 years from now, computers will be standard on all dive gears.

But, almost all cars are automatic in the US. Except when you travel to Mexico, then it is different. I spent more than half of my life driving a stick shift. But now, we have auto so more folks can drive our cars.

I would not doubt if 50 years from now, computers will be standard on all dive gears.

Almost but not all. And its still nice to be able to drive a stick (or use tables) in a pinch

This is a reply to the ascent rate teaching in SDI. I do not recall the level of discussion in the manual but I do know that my SDI instructor had us walk slowly across the floor to get a feel for the ascent rate limitation and also featured that in the pool and via our computers as well. Although SDI does stress the computer, they also provide a feel for the rate that is what it's really about when ascending. I know that I watch my computer on ascent but also purposely proceed up a line quite slowly because I recall the rate we walked while training and from in the pool and during the OW training dives.

This is a reply to the ascent rate teaching in SDI. I do not recall the level of discussion in the manual but I do know that my SDI instructor had us walk slowly across the floor to get a feel for the ascent rate limitation and also featured that in the pool and via our computers as well. Although SDI does stress the computer, they also provide a feel for the rate that is what it's really about when ascending. I know that I watch my computer on ascent but also purposely proceed up a line quite slowly because I recall the rate we walked while training and from in the pool and during the OW training dives.

That is a cool drill. It sounds like you had a great instructor!

The classic model for free ascents in terms of pedagogy is "smallest bubbles." The dive computers make this easier with their bar graph displays and beeper warnings.

Right now, at the cutting edge of the dive computers are the various helium mixed-gas variations. I like the Nitek HE, as does my shipwreck diving buddy. They (DiveRite) are currently in the design phase of a newer version of this.

With a complex helium dive computer you dial-in your various mixes, in the order that you plan to use them, and then you switch from one to the next in sequence during your dive. It makes technical shipwreckdiving a peice of cake and thus you can have more fun by enjoying the wreck itself. The way most modern wrecks are now pre-configured, you can take any exit point along the bow-to-stern line.

This is the ultimate thrill, for me at least (some others love spearfishing, and others still are fascinated by dark caves).

To achieve the ultimate thrill, it makes sense to become dive computer literate at the earliest phase of training. This is how SDI does it!

It does not make sense to treat the dive computer like a horseless carriage in the early era of motorized travel, like claiming that a horse is more reliable.

The classic model for free ascents in terms of pedagogy is "smallest bubbles."

That was always a horrible method for a number of reasons.

First, that is a 60 ft/min rate, twice that recommended by almost everyone.

Second, almost no one ever used the smallest bubbles. The smallest bubbles are those that are so small they are difficult to see (foam). That results in ascending even faster than 60 ft/min.

Third, as bubbles ascend, they expand and increase in their rate of ascent, so one needs to constantly switch to smaller bubbles. Since folks rarely switched to smaller bubbles often enough, their ascent rate was usually faster yet.

Back
Top Bottom