PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With SSI I believe it's 400 meters with a mask and snorkle but what they're looking for more than endurance is comfort in the water. I've had a couple of students drop out during the swim portion of the class.

With SSI I believe it's 400 meters with a mask and snorkle but what they're looking for more than endurance is comfort in the water. I've had a couple of students drop out during the swim portion of the class.

It is the same as PADI, 300 yards with fins/mask/snorkel or 200 yards swim. They simply tell everyone to put on fins, mask, and snorkel, and jump in and fin. At least the local SSI shop. They don't care if you have a wetsuit on or not.

I think it is the trend now a day. It doesn't matter if it is SSI or PADI. Fins and snorkel saves time. Leave the wetsuit on. Get it over with. And spend more time in the pool to work on skills.

I guess it is better than letting someone spend 30 minute doggy paddling or swimming on their back to get 200 yards out of the way.

I'm curious because I don't know the standards for some of the special programs out there.

Does anyone know what if any standards are in place for the Wounded Veterans (amputees) who are diving in specially designed programs?

Is there any swim requirement and if so what is it. Are there any buddy requirements etc..?

The other thing that I might point out is for the snorkel, you must remain face in the water the entire time. This means no swimming on your back or whatever, if you consider the fact that the 200m swim and that from YMCA from what I am told is any stroke. So potentially a person could swim 200m all on their back, nice and slow...the argument could easily be made that it was not really an endurance test. Plus swimming on the surface with fins, is sometimes even more difficult. Like I said I think they are just the same...especially because the one is longer.

FWIW I can't see 200m, or even 300m swimming as being an endurance test. It just isn't that far. I mean that is a warm up for people who swim for a cardio workout. To me that is just to make sure you are comfortable in the water.

Personally I don't have a problem with either option, nor would I have a problem with YMCA saying swim only. We aren't turning out Navy SEALs here, just ow divers.

Edit- ooops, should have read further, Al said it first...

If anyone has gotten that idea, I apologize. PADI requires an evaluation that includes either a 200 yd swim or a 300 yd snorkel.

I took it wrong also, as well as the statement YMCA requires a doff and don and PADI doesn't. They do (as Pir8 posted), just if needed you can have a little help.

I was off on my post too, interjecting opinion and not sticking to standards...

I'm curious because I don't know the standards for some of the special programs out there.

Does anyone know what if any standards are in place for the Wounded Veterans (amputees) who are diving in specially designed programs?

Is there any swim requirement and if so what is it. Are there any buddy requirements etc..?

I am not sure, but as I am hoping to become an HSA certified buddy, I might be inclined to think "I" will have some pretty stringent swimming requirements, much more than the handicapped diver, and more than an OW diver.

At least that would make sense to me, anyway.

Anybody know?

OK I submit, poor choice of words. Actually the wording from padi is waterskills assessment and being comfortable in water.

I hope Walter you will agree that we aren't turning out olympic swimmers here. And if you think that swimming 200m should be the only water to assess comfort in the water, than you must be one of those people who think that diving is only for the people who can accomplish that task, and again referring to my previous post I am sure people who deal with handicaps all their life and ways of adapting and overcoming would severely disagree with you.

As far as offthewall1, I know PADI says that reasonable accomodations or modifying the normal way one might complete the skill can be done in the case of people with severe disabilities, such as providing flotation and allowing someone to do a swim with only their arms. I don't think diving should be witheld from anyone who has a physical disability, that if not for it, they would normally do fine. Clearly if the person was unable to comprehend certain skills or had a medical condition that made them a severe risk underwater then of course that would be a safety concern. I am pretty sure this is the same across the more consider the ADA.

seaducer:
I took it wrong also, as well as the statement YMCA requires a doff and don and PADI doesn't. They do (as Pir8 posted), just if needed you can have a little help.

Actually, PADI doesn't require a doff & don. They require part of a doff & don and they allow assistance with that.

I hope Walter you will agree that we aren't turning out olympic swimmers here.

Of course not, in fact we don't teach swimming at all.

And if you think that swimming 200m should be the only water to assess comfort in the water, than you must be one of those people who think that diving is only for the people who can accomplish that task,

A 200m swim would not get a YMCA c-card. To pass the class requires 300 yards. If you can't swim 300 yds, you have no business diving on your own.

I am sure people who deal with handicaps all their life and ways of adapting and overcoming would severely disagree with you.

Perhaps some would. OTOH, I've dived with lots of folks with handicaps (triple amputee, paraplegic, single amputee) who have no trouble swimming 300 yds.

As far as divers with disabilities, the YMCA has 3 levels of certifications.

Level I - met all standards - regular c-card, no restrictions.

Level II - can handle emergency situations and care for themselves, but can't assist another diver in distress. - Restricted to dive with two unrestricted buddies.

Level III - can safely dive with assistance - Restricted to dive with two unrestricted buddies, at least one of whom is trained in SCUBA rescue.

that first quote isn't mine...

And again I still disagree with you about the swimming. But I can see that isn't going to change. Again, I think there are other ways to show you have competency in the water. Such as fin AIDS...lets see a prosthetic is an AID...a vehicle designed with the accelerator and brake on the steering wheel is an AID...hmmm...am I going somewhere with this?

My apologies. I fixed the quote.

Yeah, this is an area in which we aren't going to agree and we both understand the other's point of view.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom