PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This is verbatim from my 1993 PADI OW manual, where we had to remember the 5 points of ascent, and 5 points of descent. Which are not emphasized in the SSI curriculum, and many divers, including myself, feel that should be taught.

Point 5 on ascending: "Swim up slowly, at a rate no faster than one foot per second, while breathing normally."

This is not the same as "Swim up at 60 ft per minute". As I recall, my instructor did not teach me to swim up at 60 ft per minute. 60 ft per minute is the maximum. Not the recommended speed.

Ummm, that's 60 feet per minute, SSI and other agencies are half of that, they don't say to make sure you're going at least 30 feet per minute MINIMUM, it's 30 feet per minute MAXIMUM.

I got a kick out of the 5 point ascent. They made a lot out of very little, lol.

Ummm, that's 60 feet per minute, SSI and other agencies are half of that, they don't say to make sure you're going at least 30 feet per minute MINIMUM, it's 30 feet per minute MAXIMUM.

I got a kick out of the 5 point ascent. They made a lot out of very little, lol.

It is alot out of very little that helps the slow students like myself. The little ABC's that keep you looking like a fool jumping off the boat without your weight belt. The little reminder that helps to remind you to set your time, set your compass, and descend with a readied buddy. The little 5 point reminder that tells you to check your time/depth, check with your buddy, and ascend at a safe rate. These are the little rules that you see divers break every day: failure to note bottom time, failure to ascend or descend with a buddy, and failure to get a bearing before heading below. You might laught at these little ABCD, and 5 point rules; but it makes for the difference between a regimented controlled diver, and one who breaks rules.

The point of the 60 ft/ minute maximum ascent allows the laxity to discuss the many theories and options of preventing DCS - that an instructor can go through more detail at leisure. The need for the 3 minute safety stop is more important than a slow ascent rate (slower than 30 ft/min). A diver can make his own decision on his ascent rate (60 ft/min at deeper than 50 ft, then 30 ft/min above 50 ft), and gives him the leeway to do a safety stop at half depth, and more than 3 minute at the safety stop if he wishes. Simply saying at less than 30 ft/min simply saves one from discussing other aspect of ascent.... That an informed diver can make on his own.

If a student is listening to Padi talk about ascent rates, they aren't well informed by a long shot.

If a student is listening to Padi talk about ascent rates, they aren't well informed by a long shot.

You are probably right. At the crash course speed... it is not enough time to drill the information in at all. That's why I think we should quit teaching the stupid table, and focus on the basic. Learn how to use the computer... worry about the table later. Little simple things that we don't teach well is what kills the diver. Not the stupid table.

I think it is odd that people would even consider not teaching the tables. Thos are, in my opinion, fundamental to diving. Honestly, if you are on a liveaboard and your computer breaks, how do you dive? Do you just wing it? Sounds dangerous to me - but then I tend to be a conservative diver.

People wing it all the time. How many resort diver's actually wear a watch? How many diver's actually set their watch? How many people rent gears and follow the DM where ever he goes.... without a clue to what their depth and bottom time is? I think it is more than 1/2 of divers.... So, really, how many folks carry an analog depth gauge in addition to their built in computer? I know I do - but I also have 2 computers. Nothing fancy... but good enough.

I think the table should be taught in AOW. Most OW certified diver can hardly even dive, not to mention planning their own dive. We just have to admit, the OW diver are not competent.... Save the table for later, perhaps after AOW.

Hi!
my parents are taking their first steps into scuba this weekend (i am too but we are in different places) and their class is SDI cert. Mine is PADI which i've always heard is the most reputable. Can you give me and feedback of the pros/cons of SDI?
Thanks!
Jacq

I told you there would be post after post "My organization is better than yours"! Or "Your organization sucks and mine is better"! Please don't let this discourage you from being involved in a really great sport! Just communicate with your instructor and anyone helping them! Sometimes known as "Mopes"! Have a great time! Now back to the one-ups-manship!:popcorn:

PADI's RDP and eRDP (aka "wheel") is more akin to stone age technology, like the original wheel.:rofl3:

The eRDP is not the wheel. The eRDP is simply the table, in an electronic form. I think it is a stupid piece of equipment... But, some folks probably like it.

Whe wheel is not stone age technology. It is the same type of data in dive computers. It is very unique and interesting to use. It is as close as you can get to a computer, without having one.

Don't knock the wheel until you have learned how to use it. It doesn't matter whose data was used to construct the wheel, the fact that some ingenious person put the data in such form makes me want to pat him/her on the back.

Considering I can teach either agency as well as PDIC, they are both very similar except that SDI requires a computer. Difference in the agencies comes when you get to the Tech side. Oh yeah I can teach a solo course for SDI but not PADI.

SDI is superior in my view because they have indeed ditched the manual dive tables.

In 21st Century scuba diving, sophisticated deco software and helium dive computers are the cutting edge. SDI in teaching with dive computers is at the cutting edge.

And anyone lucky enough to have an SDI facility close to their location ought to take advantage. There are not that many around.

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

Do you also feel velcro shoes are superior because laces are antiquated? :lotsalove:

There are legitimate crticisms of PADI ( like any and all other agencies), but this surely is not one of them. What do you do when your computer fails? It happens you know. I guess on that trip SDI students are limited to one dive a day? Yep, far superior. And if PADI were as bad as many people on the Internet seem to think, there would be FAR more dive fatalities then there are, seeing as how PADI certifies more divers than pretty much everyone else.

Oh, also, not many OW divers are diving helium, or using helium computers...

OP, at the OW level almost all courses are comparable. Bottom line is learn all they teach you, and then endeavor yourself to keep learning for the rest of your diving career.

True, I wish PADI would teach 30FPM as well, and I am not sure why they don't...

Back
Top Bottom