PADI vs SDI

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SDI is superior in my view because they have indeed ditched the manual dive tables.

:rofl3:

Yeah some PADI shops now use an eRDP, no more dive tables... guess they are WAY ahead of everyone else.... :rofl3:

Thanks, but I would still be interested in knowing (due to curiosity only) what parts of the NAUI OWD program are "too hard for many people". Could you give some concrete examples?

That would constitute hijacking the thread, a deadly sin. I prefer to stay on topic regarding the OP's questions about SDI instead, sil vous plait.

I am pretty sure the e in eRDP stands for electronic and works more like a calculator. Now they do have a wheel but I don't know a whole lote of instructors who teach it.

I am pretty sure the e in eRDP stands for electronic and works more like a calculator. Now they do have a wheel but I don't know a whole lote of instructors who teach it.

BINGO eRDP = Electronic Recreational Dive Planner

Of these "easier" agencies, I would recommend them in the following order:

2) SDI
3) YMCA
4) SSI
5) virtually any other
6) PADI

Just merely because you have received certification from many of the organizations you've listed, does not give you the qualification to rank order them except through prejudice and bias.

I've assisted with 2 PADI OW classes, and attended my son's SSI's OW class, and there isn't one bit of difference in how the classes are taught. PADI actually required a 50 ft demonstration of free flow regulator. SSI does not even mention it (how to manage free flowing regulator) in their book or in their OW/CW sessions. Because of this, I would have to place SSI below PADI. Walter can confirm this. Second, SSI OW text book is at laughable in organization and presentation. Based on the text book alone, any qualified diver would rank SSI's book below PADI.

Just because you are a PADI DM, NAUI OW, and SSI rescue/AOW does not qualify you to judge the contents of an agencies OW course.

The eRDP is essentially the table in an electronic form. I've never been taught the wheel in OW, but was told that it is very helpful to plan multilevel dive. I've learned to use the wheel on my own for divemaster class. It is fun to play with, and it gives you more credit for multilevel diving and repeat dives.

Actually, with most people (myself included) relying on computers to milk as much as we can from multilevel, and multidive planning; the wheel is kind of a relic. But certainly can be nice to fall back to if your computer is out of battery...

One little problem with that padi course, they teach people to ascend twice the speed of other agencies. That puts it at the bottom in my mind, for starters :)

One little problem with that padi course, they teach people to ascend twice the speed of other agencies. That puts it at the bottom in my mind, for starters :)

This is verbatim from my 1993 PADI OW manual, where we had to remember the 5 points of ascent, and 5 points of descent. Which are not emphasized in the SSI curriculum, and many divers, including myself, feel that should be taught.

Point 5 on ascending: "Swim up slowly, at a rate no faster than one foot per second, while breathing normally."

This is not the same as "Swim up at 60 ft per minute". As I recall, my instructor did not teach me to swim up at 60 ft per minute. 60 ft per minute is the maximum. Not the recommended speed.

SDI doesn't require that you learn the dive tables.

When we were looking into certification for my husband's teenagers, this was what turned our decision. I think learning the tables is instrumental, despite the fact that so many people dive with computers.

I think it is odd that people would even consider not teaching the tables. Thos are, in my opinion, fundamental to diving. Honestly, if you are on a liveaboard and your computer breaks, how do you dive? Do you just wing it? Sounds dangerous to me - but then I tend to be a conservative diver.

Furthermore, it is a skill that I maintain through the use of my logbook (yes, I :heart: my logbook). Funny how hard it was for some people to grasp the nitrox tables in my class because they were completely rusty at tables.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom