PADI videos...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

EliotD

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay, I do not want to start a fight. I didnt learn to dive with PADI, but I have been in PADI classes, they are pretty good. I AM NOT AN INSTRUCTOR, so I might be missing the value here:

...but the other day I watched PADI's newest OW class video. Every section of this movie culminated with a little message about what the student should buy next. How do people feel about this?

Also, there is a "character" in the movie who is "the diving idiot" he falls off of docks, kicks over gear, gets a sunburn, etc... Does anyone think this character is an effective training vehicle?

My opinion?
The diving idiot is annoying, I want to push him off the PADI Five Star charter boat.

I am all for gear, it supports the dive and improves the experience, but a new diver doesn't have the experience to understand that...at least I don't think so. When OW students watch this film they haven't even been in open water yet, in fact, the first push to buy something takes place before before the student has even been in the pool...WHY?

Someone clue me in.

None of the actors in the PADI videos look like real divers. Where's the old fart who straps the 5 inch knife to his leg? :shakehead

The older videos were so dry, that they would put you to sleep. SUre, they were instructional, but Sahara saltine dry. The newer ones are supposed to be a bit more entertaining. So you have the diving idiot for comic relief.
PADI always stresses that its important to keep diving fun.

As far as the promos for purchasing gear, etc. Its probably unnecessary, but look at the back cover of DT Mag, and all of the ads.

The success of diving as an industry, whether it be the LDS, online store, continued education, dive resorts, airlines, etc., begins with education. It may be a little blatant, but its smart business!

The students that I have seem to like the video. Its light enough to be easy on the eyes but with enough meat to allow them to visualize the skills that they will do in the water. What I really like about the PADI system and the supporting materials is that they appeal to a wide range of learning styles. Some folks like to learn by reading… of we have a great book. Some learn by watching so we have a great video. Some learn by doing so we have a strong and standardized skills program. Others learn best thru personal contact… so we have available a real live instructor to interact with the student over the material face to face.

As for the gear pitch… well we know that students who own their own gear are more likely to continue to dive. Students who own their own gear will be safer divers, as they will be more comfortable with gear they have selected. So why not let a student know up front that gear ownership is important.

What Tollie said. Also, the videos are meant to be viewed by people from ages 10 years and up.

Not to beat anyone over the head with the Educational Methodology/Cognitive Learning stick, but Tollie's right...we all learn different ways. While you find the "Village Scuba Idiot" annoying, it's amusing to note that you recount some of his misadventures. Seeing, hearing and doing are all valuable components of the learning process and lets face it.... witnessing other people's object lessons help teach us (sometimes) what not to do.

As long as the educational materials are technically accurate (i.e. demonstrating the skill correctly, using equipment properly, etc), a little over-the-top, humorous demonstration is a fun way to reinforce skills. If nothing else, you've got fodder for what can be some entertaining class discussions. You'll also be better able to recognize the Village Scuba Dope when he gets on your boat. Remember, the video is just enrichment to learning. It's not intended to replace the information the student will gain from a qualified instructor. It can, however, be a refreshing break from a monotonous voice that backs up a Death-by-Powerpoint format.

As far as the equipment plugs go, I agree that new divers are more likely to continue diving when they have their own gear. And if you peruse the forums, you'll find plenty of anecdotal reasons why to avoid rental gear.

Just my humble opinion, of course. See you down there.

FireDiver443

I know some find the videos quite condescending, and others hate the "gear ads" but I have enjoyed the OW video PADI put out - I even bought it (though I'm NAUI certified OW) I will watch it every once in a while and still laugh at the "village idiot". Maybe it just fits in well with my sarcastic nature... Plus it helps remind me of the "basics" which can be easy to forget the importance of at times.

Aloha, Tim

I haven't seen the videos, but I'm sure they make them similar to the PADI books. It is almost impossible (even if you are an idiot) to not remember what they teach you. I think by putting the humor in the video it break it up a little and keeps you from getting bored if you aren't one of the slow learning types.

Last spring I got my PADI OW cert. This spring before getting the AOW I reread the OW book. I don't think I found anything I didn't remember.

Tollie:
As for the gear pitch… well we know that students who own their own gear are more likely to continue to dive. Students who own their own gear will be safer divers, as they will be more comfortable with gear they have selected. So why not let a student know up front that gear ownership is important.

The dive shop is the real PADI customer. A shop can teach the classes of any agency, belong to any agencies retail organization or buy any agencies student materials. Few customers walking in the door of the dive shop looking for a class know one agency from another. It's the dive shop the agency has to sell to.

Putting sales pitches for con-ed in materials helps the shop, the agency and lets students know what else is available and why they might want to take those classes. Putting equipment sales pitches in helps the shop. Diving can be a pain if you don't own your own equipment but it doesn't necessarily make it dangerous. You need to be familiar with the configuration that you're diving but there are other ways one can see to that.

the agency needs to help the shop sell classes and equipment if they want to keep the shop for a customer.

TheRedHead:
None of the actors in the PADI videos look like real divers. Where's the old fart who straps the 5 inch knife to his leg? :shakehead

I was on DP's Tango a few months ago when this guy showed me a knife that was strapped outside on his lower leg. The blade was 7" long and the handle was about 4inches long. To his credit it did at least have a 2" serrated area on it.
He said he got it off of ebay, I think, for $.99 plus shipping. I said, Wow, that's a great deal! When we finished the two tanks he was looking at it for some reason and noted that the two rivets holding the handle together had rusted and were ready too fall out !

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom