PADI ? The right path....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

INFIDELxx

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Greetings,

I'm new to this board and diving. In 1996 i had 5 open water dives in Tahiti. One night dive three shark dives and a reef dive. It was all through Club med so I obtained no cert. But what a thrill.

Anyway I'm Fire Captain by trade. And Im looking to become a Diver. I want to become a PSD diver and Wreck diver In lakes and rivers. I know that as i Progress i will expand to Rec. diving and would love to explore caves and wrecks and more technical types of dives.

My question is. If i start with PADI will it get me to a place in which i can join obtain my goals?

Thanks!

PADI is as good a basis as any other.
Guess when you want to be a pro(fire brigade)diver they demand a more rigurous training.
For rec.diving no problem,maybe even the better way to go.PADI in known Worldwide.

Finding a good instructor (great even) is far more valuable, IMHO. But it is much easier to stay with one Org for all your certs.

Any agency can get you on the right path...PADI included. I would suggest...whichever agency you choose...getting your open water certification, advanced cert and the rescue certifications. You will not become an advanced diver by obtaining your Advanced certification. You will simply be exposed to more skills, but these skills are important. The Rescue certification is of utmost importance. These courses are places to start out. You also need to do alot of diving, but IMHO rivers are not the place to start out as a new diver, so you are not looking at a quick progression from an open water diver to a PSD if you are smart. My advice would be for you to take it one step at a time, get some experience under your belt, then find an agency that specializes in PSD training. There are many professionals who work for fire deptartments who are PSD's. Since you are in this profession I would think it would be easy to find some and talk to them about your goals. There are some PSD's who are members of SB who can lead you in the right direction more than I can and hopefully some of them will pick up on your thread and provide you with more insight.

Last edited:
PADI is a prety big organization teaching more folks than any one and they do have useful online services as you advance. The best way to get experience is to Dive, Dive and Dive. Every type you can warm water, cold water, ocean, quarrys, boat, shore, deep and shallow fresh and salt. I do not think you learn how good your instructor is until you observe other divers and realize you are better prepared for circumstances than your peers. The initial instruction is a starting point not the end. You never stop learning. THe PSD's will help you from there.
---
Not Dimes Dollars!
DP

nothing wrong with padi. i agree with the dive,dive,dive suggestion. certs do not make a diver; experience does.

Just getting the OW cert will put you in the right direction. PADI would be great and if you begin to cross over to another org at that level it should be no problem. It will also give you a good idea of what sort of training and material PADI has to offer.

Good luck,

AZ

I know around here the city has their own emergency rescue teams, some of which being scuba. Normally you can look up who they are using. I know the place I am going to here ssdsupply makes trips to the rivers looking for artifacts, up to Alaska to go dredging for gold and so on. If you look around see what they like to do for trips and so on, some may do what you want to do and have a lot of information and experience in doing that.

It doesn't really matter the agency, it all boils down to the instructor. It's important to get recommendations for instructors from others because (1) you are paying for someone to teach you skills you may need in life or death situations and (2) you can't trust just any schmuck trying to make a buck. Get referrals from friends, co-workers, word of mouth, or certified dive masters. When you contact the instructors, find out what agency they are certified by. Ask them about their experience, philosophies, and teaching styles. For example, are they willing to give special attention to someone having trouble? Are they able to translate technical knowledge into memorable lay terms? Do they challenge students to master skills rather than just pass everyone?

Really though, find out what their methodology is behind their passion of diving, interaction with the water, their second skin, teaching, and how it all correlates with an impression upon a student. Seriously, are they looking to put green paper in their pocket or opening an invitation to the curious mind into a fascinating world with full intention upon trying their ability to follow direction in a safe, practical, and caring environment to help them achieve the best in trusting confidence and help them transcend to be the best diver they possibly can be.

That's my bar of compressed air anyway....:wink:

Yes, just do it

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom